Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ribbon lights on a Christmas tree quilt >

Ribbon lights on a Christmas tree quilt

Ribbon lights on a Christmas tree quilt

Old 10-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Ribbon lights on a Christmas tree quilt

I'm planning on making a Christmas tree quilt about 4' by 7.5' to use instead of a tree. My family comes at Christmas, but the kids have a real tree at home from about Thanksgiving through Epiphany. My house is kind of small and I'm getting too old to move all the furniture around to accommodate a tree. I figure I can pin favorite ornaments on the quilt.

My question is -- have any of you ever used the flexible LED ribbon lights? If so, any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:22 PM

I have not but MSQC has a light set they sell that is battery powered. they have a tort. on how to use it with a panel tree.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Champagnolle View Post
I'm planning on making a Christmas tree quilt about 4' by 7.5' to use instead of a tree. My family comes at Christmas, but the kids have a real tree at home from about Thanksgiving through Epiphany. My house is kind of small and I'm getting too old to move all the furniture around to accommodate a tree. I figure I can pin favorite ornaments on the quilt.

My question is -- have any of you ever used the flexible LED ribbon lights? If so, any suggestions?

Nope, but one thing for sure, you won't have to worry about heat from the lights on your quilted material.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have not but MSQC has a light set they sell that is battery powered. they have a tort. on how to use it with a panel tree.
why waste batteries when you can buy plug in lights
Old 10-11-2014, 05:09 PM

I made one long before there were LEDs.....i made button holes in the "tree" that were about the distance apart of the twinkle lights on the string and poked them through the holes - then plugged them in. Mine was smaller, so i only used a 50 light strand....but it worked great.
I also made a small one and did use the battery powered lights as it was going to be hung higher up on the wall. Put a pocket on the back to hold the battery pack -- they can be heavy cuz some need D batteries.
Are you making any quilted ornaments??

Good luck...don't forget to sent us a photo please - i'd really like to see the final project.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:35 PM

What a great idea. I will definitely have to file this idea away for future reference. The creativity really appeals to me. Look forward to seeing what you decide.