Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique - do I use Pellon Wonder-Under Paper-Backed Fusible >

Applique - do I use Pellon Wonder-Under Paper-Backed Fusible

Applique - do I use Pellon Wonder-Under Paper-Backed Fusible

Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 AM

Default Applique - do I use Pellon Wonder-Under Paper-Backed Fusible

Newbie question... to applique something on a quilt would I use Pellon Wonder-Under Paper-Backed Fusible? I just don't want to buy the wrong thing Or is there something better?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 AM

I do alot of fusible applique, and I always use Steam a Seam II. I hand stitch around the pieces, using a buttonhole stitch and embroidery floss. Its not stiff so needles easily!!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I love Wonder Under but I "window" large appliqués since it can make appliqués stiff. I can no longer find it at my quilt store and have to special order it. I have tried a couple of others but they didn't stick as well for me.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

For my machine applique, I was told that Wonder Under is the best. I have been very happy with it.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Thank you for your replies. I will have to check into that Steam a Seam II.. I like learning about new stuff
Old 10-17-2014, 05:49 AM

I use "Sewer Paper" I buy it at Menard's (a store like Lowe's or Home Depot in the Plumbing Section). It comes on a roll of 300 ft and is about $30 for the roll. I use it with applique and also as a backing for embroidery. You have to sew this to your fabric when you applique. I sew it with the right side of fabric down then cut a small slit out of the backing and turn it. It is very strong and works great! I washed a sample 5 times in my washer and dried it over and over...it holds up!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 AM

There is another one as well. I use a product by Bosal. It is Bosal 345. I think they call it Splended web. it is even lighter weight then the Steam a seam II and your fabrics dont get stiff at all.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I never cared for wonder under, it seemed to gum up my needle. I prefer Heat n Bond lite.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 AM

I used to use Wonder Under but have switched to Heat N Bond Lite - available at WalMart (my LQS wouldn't order it) and works way better than the Pellon.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:15 PM

I've used both Wonder Under and Heat n Bond lite. The WU works well if you're going to finish the edges with a blanket stitch. It doesn't work quite as well if you're going to do a straight stitch right next to the edge. You'll get edge frays. Heat n Bond works better for raw edge because it bonds the threads of the fabric together better. I think it's heavier though so there's a trade off. I don't use any other stabilizer with either one but I never do a satin stitch either. The best thing to do is buy some of each and make some single blocks you can turn into pillows later and experiment with different fusibles and edge finishes.