Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying geese. Pieced conversion to Paper Pieced >

Flying geese. Pieced conversion to Paper Pieced

Flying geese. Pieced conversion to Paper Pieced

Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Flying geese. Pieced conversion to Paper Pieced

Hi everyone.
I am having a little problem that I hope you can help me with. I have a Christmas quilt top that has quite a lot of flying geese that are called to be pieced together. I will be the first to admit my FG always turn out wonky. What I want to do is paper piece them instead. I have the Triangulation Cd to do this but I am not sure which size to pick. The original instructions call for a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 large piece and 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 (2)for the 'wing' portion.
If I am correct, the final size would be 2 x 4?
Sorry for such a mundane question but its late and my brain is fried......

Thanks so much
Cindy in TN
Old 10-29-2014, 10:49 PM

PP the flying geese will be quick and perfect. Lightly spray the shapes as you are working with diagonals and PP will help to make sure they are all the same and starch will control stretch. Centre will be done first the one triangle each side one at a time. Just make sure the centre point is 1/4" from the top edge. If it is not adjust and keep the adjustment.

Go for it it's easy after the first one and beautiful geese.

Ps I didn't give instructions as I don't know the method of paper piecing you have.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Power Poster

you are correct. the finished geese size should be 2"x4"
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM

You can find instructions for pieced flying geese here: http://quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

The templates for paper piecing are here: http://quilterscache.com/B/BlankPPTemplatesPage.html
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 AM

Instead of PP, may I suggest this to you...just as an alternative.....when you mark those squares with that diagonal sew that line just RIGHT of that drawn line..that allows for fold...and also when you trim, just trim the back of that square, that is the piece of fab in the middle-leaving the original rectangle corner there along with the new corner you have made....that original rect. is your true seam guide when joining those FG. And remember that seam you have created is on the bias...so sew without pulling/tugging and press lightly! I never piece anything on full speed...my full speed is med slow...and, I think, more accurate ( most of the time) ....
Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Cindi, I always had geese that were wonky too. But please try El Burns method of using two squares sewn together. The size of the squares depend on the size of your geese. There is a bit of trimming at the end and that is when you can make any adjustments. They come out perfect every time. You get 4 flying geese from every set of two squares.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM

http://www.quiltinaday.com/televisio...geeseruler.asp

Here is El Burns video of her method of making flying geese. She shows using a regular ruler and her special geese ruler methods of trimming.