Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Farmers Wife quilt question >

Farmers Wife quilt question

Farmers Wife quilt question

Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Default Farmers Wife quilt question

I love making sampler quilts and am thinking about tackling the Farmers Wife quilt. I googled it and found a lot of references to templates.

I really prefer to rotary cut my pieces. Now I'm worried that this won't be a project I want to try. I have not purchased the book yet and I won't buy it if I have to use templates.

Can anyone advise me whether all (or most) of the blocks require templates or if I can rotary cut most of them.

Thanks for any info you can share.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:24 PM

I have the book (have not made the quilt *yet*) and I see in the back that it tells you how to construct each block (i.e. make 4 triangles, 4 squares - etc) but I don't see the size for each of the pieces.

If you're good at quilt math I'm sure you can figure out from the diagrams the sizes for each of the pieces of the block.

The book has a DVD, I've not popped it in yet so I have no idea if it's just templates or has rotary cutting directions.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM

If you do a search on this forum for Farmers Wife Sampler, you'll find a quilt-along that we had back in 2010-2011. There were a lot of tips and tricks posted. I started it but either rotary cut it or used paper foundation piecing as I don't use templates if I can get out of it. The book and the CD are templates. I used Quilt Assistant and put a lot of the blocks in it for paper piecing. Much easier for me than trying to get small pieces sewn accurately. Someday I may even get it back out and complete it!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Check in the Blocks of the Month/Week section. Honchey wrote rotary cut instructions for the blocks (2 each week) when in was done as a sew along project here on the board. To find them go to Advanced Search at upper right corner of this page. Check box Posts, in Keyword box type "FWS rotary", in User Name box type "Honchey". The posts don't come up in weekly order but they are there for you to make life easier!

Best of luck on your adventure.