Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting room organization--advice needed..... >

Quilting room organization--advice needed.....

Quilting room organization--advice needed.....

Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 PM

Default Quilting room organization--advice needed.....

Ok.........so we are now officially empty nesters! reorganizing son's soon to be empty room to be my quilting room.
Thinking about getting an L shaped glass table to use for my sewing machine on one side and the other side as my cutting area..........BUT I'm wondering if the glass will hold up to the the cutting in particular...........any ideas?? Does anyone have something similar?? If so, how does it do for you??
Thinking about something like this:
http://www.wayfair.com/Altra-Furnitu...6-HQZ1411.html

just dont want to spend the $$$ and then have the glass shatter..........(would be my luck LOL)

Ginny
Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 PM

Personally I would not use glass for several reasons. If you are going to use your sewing machine on this top you will have a glass rattle all the time and the vibration could cause problems with the metal fittings Needless to say one wrong hit against the glass and you could have glass everywhere. Putting pressure over and over in the same area as you are cutting fabric could also be problematic. I know it looks really cool but I think it is not practical for a sewing area.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 PM

yep.......those have been my second thoughts...... guess it falls in the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" LOL
sigh ........... back to the drawing board
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM

Interesting table. I've never thought about using a glass table as a permanent sewing ironing cutting station. I did use an outdoor glass table as a cutting station for a couple of months when I was visiting at a friend's house. It worked well, and was strong enough for what we were doing. Now, would I set my Big Brother on one in embroidery mode and risk it cracking? I just don't know.

I do use an "L" shaped area, but it is a wood table on one side and an oversized TV tray type folding table on the other side for my iron and an ironing pad. I have a different area to cut on if I am doing serious cutting or squaring up, although I do have a 12 x 18 inch cutting mat next to my sewing machine. It works for me.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:49 PM

If you have an Ikea near you, they have a corner shaped desk top and you can choose the length of desk top to put on either side, which would give you the same set up.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 AM

Glass? No. Wow! From a safety point of view and the nightmare of keeping it looking nice. Machines get heavy and they can vibrate. Why take the chance? I used to have a glass topped coffee table and after I would Windex it my dog would lick it!

Sandy
Old 11-20-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
If you have an Ikea near you, they have a corner shaped desk top and you can choose the length of desk top to put on either side, which would give you the same set up.
I agree. Check out ikea. I got my tables there and they're wonderful as well as economical
Old 11-20-2014, 05:22 AM

Glass is not stable enough. Any desk is not at the right height for a cutting table. I have an L shaped desk as a sewing table to be able to leave the biggest part of quilt to the left side. You will be sorry for the glass.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Have you looked in the section Mission: Organization? That is where board members post photos of what they have made into their own quilting room. Check it out and you might find something that works for you. I thought this was a very interesting table:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/$20-sewing-table-t256777.html
Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 AM

Try checking your local Craigslist. There are always some kind of tables and desks on my local one. There is usually one or two L shaped desks on it also. I keep looking at them but I don't think they will fit with my current set up but they are enticing!