Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would love advice on how to quilt this. >

Would love advice on how to quilt this.

Would love advice on how to quilt this.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:39 PM

Default Would love advice on how to quilt this.

So I've finally finished this quilt top. I'd love some advice as to how to quilt it. I'm a novice, having done just a few smallish, simple quilting projects so far. I'd like to keep it simple--partly because it's such a modern pattern, partly because it's going to my adult son, and partly -- well, I'm a novice.

Quilting with the walking foot and some fmq on my domestic machine is what I'm thinking -- no marking. Any ideas?

By the way, here's a link to the pattern (Urban Abacus by Sew Kind of Wonderful), in case I mess up on uploading the picture. Thanks.

http://sewkindofwonderful.com/collec...ban-collection

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-06-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 12-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I would SID each row and then do some FMQ using the fabric as guidelines inside each lantern. I might also do a curvy line down the center of each plank.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Love this pattern. Maybe do some echoing on interior of the globes then SID.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:18 PM

I like both of your ideas, guys. Think I might combine them -- echoing (1 line or 2?) inside the globes, SID the rows, and curvy lines in the planks. Wish me luck! Of course, I still have the hardest part ahead of me first--making the actual quilt sandwich. A job for tomorrow, I think.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Depending on the batting you used will determine how much quilting the quilt requires. I would definitely keep it simple with stitching in the ditch. Look for a simple design that you can free motion for the center of the lanterns.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Thanks, ManiacQuilter2. I'm using Warm&Natural, which apparently needs to be quilted every 10", giving me more options for "simple."

The only simple design I would trust myself with for the center of the lanterns (I don't think I'd realized that's what they are!) is stippling or maybe loops. Still trying to decide on whether to do that or just echo inside.

Loving all the ideas!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I almost always just do FMQ, in a large stipple on my quilts.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 AM

I like the suggestions already given. Some small intense quilting in the background would really make the shapes pop. Also lots of ideas for quilting this pattern here: https://www.google.com/search?q=urba...quilt&imgdii=_
Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I like the suggestions already given. Some small intense quilting in the background would really make the shapes pop. Also lots of ideas for quilting this pattern here: https://www.google.com/search?q=urba...quilt&imgdii=_
Thanks! Loved looking at the different versions of the quilt, and I think you're right about intense quilting in the background. I'm not sure if my pebbling is up to it (I'll practice a bit and see), but if not, I think I'll stipple those areas.

I love this board!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Make sure you practice on a sample before you try pebbling on your quilt. Taking it out is a bear! We won't talk about how I know that.