Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice >

Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice

Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice

Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Default Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice

Yes, I did. Hadn't meant to, but what can you do. It was just there. At my go-to thrift store. I tested it there, so I knew it wasn't flawless when I bought it.

There is a clear clacking sound at the back end of the machine, which, btw, is very clean inside and out - and very dry.
We noticed a split in the top gear, which is metal covered in black plastic (why oh why??). Here's a photo: Anyone know where to find this part? I did write to Janome about that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502993[/ATTACH]

Below is the machine. It looks a little disheveled because we have taken some of it apart. What is the little white knob for, to the right of the big one? It indicates something + and -; also, the lever way at the bottom, what does it do? It is on a spring and must be held in place with 2 fasteners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502994[/ATTACH]

Also, there is a zz cam, but there doesn't seem to be a way to remove it? I didn't want to yank on it. I saw a listing for this machine and it actually comes with a dozen or so cams... here (ebay)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502996[/ATTACH]

Any help is appreciated! I have emailed Janome for a manual, but can't wait to figure this out. The machine is quite noisy.
There is a burning smell, probably form the motor. What is the most likely cause?

Something is also noisy in the bobbin area.... I removed some lint, but didn't find anything else that would be obvious.... Any suggestions?

Hope I can get this one to work. I like it. It is streamlined and compact with all the essentials.
Attached Thumbnails dsc04041.jpg   dsc04045sm.jpg   dsc04047.jpg  
Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 PM

The + and - knob is the stretch balance knob. If your stitch doesn't look quite right, you can accordion it (bring the stitches closer together or farther apart), by turning the knob. It is especially helpful if you're sewing on a stretchy fabric or sewing with a stretch stitch.

The lever at the bottom is to hold a set stitch width. So, you'd turn the stitch width where you want it, then tighten down one of the knobs to hold it in place.

The cams may just lift out. I can see the tracer with the red arrow, does it push out of the way, to the right?

The burning smell is probably just because it has sat for a long time without being run. It should burn off after it's been used for a while.

Make sure there's nothing in the race, which is the ledge that the hook sits on. Sometimes a needle fragment gets stuck in the race, and can cause a lot of racket. You can run your fingernail or a big straight pin around that ledge to feel is something is embedded. That hook should get oil about every 3 hours of sewing time, which should quiet it down, too.

Have fun with your "new" machine!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:10 AM

Hi Annette - thank you very much for that information. It helped rule out those knobs during the process of trying to figure out basic settings and the noise. :-) And you were right, the cams lift right out. And the smell is gone.

We finally got it running quietly!!!! Happy dance!

The racket in the back was caused by the tight belt - too small. Husband had the right instincts about that and we exchanged it for a rubber band that was on the table. The gaps on the gear are not a problem, at least not now with the rubber band driving the gears.

The rattle and whining of the bobbin case is gone too -- cleaned it out a bit better, added oil to all the moving parts again, took the 15 bobbin out and inserted a 66... works, but not sure which one needs to be in there. The 15 that it came with was bent.

Tension is very good, right off the bat, stitches can be regulated, and they are straight.

Ebay has 24 cams for this machine for $30 - I want them even though I don't do embroidery, but maybe they'll come in handy.

Since it's running on a rubber band, I haven't tried zz and reverse, however, it appears that the mechanics for zz are good. I can't wait to put the right size belt on it and put it to work!

We're happy with this one!

12:15 am! -- I had no idea it's this late!

Last edited by sews; 12-19-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:49 AM

what I see looks like a cog belt drive wheel ? now I see you have timing belt in the last post. so it is a cog'd belt drive.

I'd have a bet that belt is the right size. when the plastic cracked the drive wheel expanded, That makes the belt seem to small.
tell you the truth I'd take it back and show them the broken part. bang for the buck it's not worth repairing. maybe they'll feel bad and give you that white featherweight they have in the back room.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:18 AM

You will need to find a class 15 bobbin.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Yes, this machine would be considered a parts machine in my house and would cost more than I would pay to repair. Janome isn't going to have repair parts for it. They barely have parts for some of their 15 year old machine like my 9000:<
Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 AM

That broken gear is why so many members here don't like plastic in their machines. I currently have two machines with broken plastic gears similar to yours. I think its the different expansion rates between plastic and metal that cause them to eventually fail. I honestly don't know when I'll get around to fixing them, if ever. You can try ebay for a new gear. There's a chance one of the sellers there has a replacement. If you don't see it listed, it may be worth asking some of the larger sellers if it's something they stock. Some gears are relatively cheap but I honestly don't know what yours will cost.
Rodney
Old 12-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Further research tells us that the belt that was on the machine is about 1 inch too short and it is a Uniroyal T4NI, meant for a metal lathe....... (13 inches instead of 14 3/8)

I do have class 15 bobbins....

I'm not done with this machine yet. It IS returnable within week.

Janome is no help. I had found a post on this board where someone with a 762 or 4 wrote to them and she had a manual in her mailbox right away. No such luck here....
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You can try ebay for a new gear. There's a chance one of the sellers there has a replacement. If you don't see it listed, it may be worth asking some of the larger sellers if it's something they stock. Some gears are relatively cheap but I honestly don't know what yours will cost.
Rodney
I'm going to keep looking for a while longer. Thanks for the encouragement, Rodney. I'm not giving up that quickly, that's what restoration is all about. Perseverance. And the cost of a single gear can't be all that much. The machine with table was only $30. We found a new belt for $6 .... An upper shaft gear pulley for $13 both supposedly for this machine.... (Husband just found it...) all easy to install.

:-)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 AM

I don't give up on machines that I can get back the $ I put into it. Or if it's a special machine, but parts machines are a good thing too.