Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a fabric-efficient way to make string quilts (from FQ or yardage) >

Is there a fabric-efficient way to make string quilts (from FQ or yardage)

Is there a fabric-efficient way to make string quilts (from FQ or yardage)

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Default Is there a fabric-efficient way to make string quilts (from FQ or yardage)

I'm really interested in making Bonnie Hunter's Jamestown Landing quilt. This quilt has numerous string blocks in it. I've never made a string block and I would need to use strips from FQ's and yardage as I don't have any cream background scraps.

The tutorials I've seen have all been based on small scraps and seem like a very inefficient use of the fabric. Is there a better way to do it?? I would need to make 4 inch finished blocks. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 AM

I made this quilt in a king size. Took a long time, lots of cutting. I used a lot of scraps and some were in full width fabrics too. You just cut the pieces from edge to edge and then cut them to the lengths needed. I really did not have a lot of waste and the short pieces I was able to use in some of the other blocks. I think you would get less waste using the yardage as with FQ you would have more leftover short pieces. In the end I even made pillow shams to match and really like the quilt. You must be really careful when making the blocks that you have them oriented correctly. Like I said it took a lot of time and keeping alert. I started this in a Bonnie Hunter class with 2 of my friends who were only doing the crib size and they are still not done so I feel good. Give it a try, it is a great quilt.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

To get a scrappy look, I would use fat quarters cut in random widths to get the most variation. Yes, it might not be the most efficient use of the fabric, but the quilt is designed for scraps!! There's going to be a trade off if you use yardage.
Here's her string block primer:
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...ng-primer.html
If you use a foundation (paper or muslin) and mark your 4.5" block, you can position your fabric for the least waste when you trim it up. Your strings don't really need to be a single length of fabric. Just gather up the left overs, separate them by widths and sew them into a long strip.
Personally, if you have any thrift shops near you, I would look for men's shirts in beige/cream/white. There's a lot of fabric in a man's dress shirt. Or ask your family & friends if they have any shirts they are ready to donate. Cotton bed linens are also an idea, but if you want to get lots of variety, look for pillowcases, not sheets.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

If you have a lot of beige, cream or off white fat quarters to use in your stash, I would cut them into 4 3/4 inch strips. Then pile up the strips and cut them in various widths. For yardage, I would cut off 4-3/4 inch strips off a lot of different neutrals and then cut into strips. You could piece the strips into one long strip and then cut again into 4-1/2 inch squares or paper piece them onto 4-1/2 inch telephone page squares. Bonnie considers all her neutrals to be lighter then a brown paper bag.