Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plastic template >

Plastic template

Plastic template

Old 01-14-2015, 05:48 AM

Default Plastic template

Good morning! I have been looking at a pattern that requires plastic templates. How do I do that? Do I have to have a piece of plastic cut somewhere or can I make my own by using something else? Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

You can use plastic cutting mats, or go to a fabric store like JAF or Hancock's or your local quilt shop. depends on what kind it is. You can make your own or buy them locally or online.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:01 AM

I use Mylar. You can purchase it in sheets from Joanns or Quilt Shops. You can also get it on line.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Depending on the type of template that you need (especially if you need to be able to SEE THRU the template) you can use cardboard from a cereal box, or buy template plastic from you LQS or an online store. I really must check my dollar store for cheap plastic kitchen cutting mats too.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 AM

The cheap cutting mats from the dollar store are what I see lots of folks suggesting lately. Depending on how much the templates are being used in the pattern (cut 1 piece or 20 pieces) you can even just use paper.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 AM

I save the plastic tops from boxes of greeting cards which are clear and stiff plastic and use it for templates and in making wallets where I want a see-thru pocket for my drivers license. Works great and didn't cost anything!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 AM

I use the heavy covers of brochures, like the thick glossy ones from car dealerships. You can't see through them, but the thick, slick paper works really well for me as a template. And is free!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:22 AM

The problem with the thinner plastics, used for templates, is that one mistake in cutting with a sharp blade and you have likely damaged your template. I find that using 3 to 4 mm plastic gives you a better edge to cut against and can be shaped with heavy kitchen shears. The heavier plastics are frequently semi-opaque but can still be seen through enough to get your template spot on. I have searched the internet and find the well know auction site to be a good resource, but you have to buy fairly large sheets and it is somewhat costly. However, I make a lot of templates and find it cost effective, less problematic and more precise.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

It depends on if you are going to trace around the template with a pencil or use rotary cutter against your template. If you are going to trace with a pencil then the clear cutting mats from the $ store work well but you can use a cereal box cardboard, the lid from a margarine container, if it's big enough or sometimes the clear hard plastic packaging from a product. Here is a picture of the $ store mat.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506022[/ATTACH]
If you plan on cutting against your template with your rotary cutter, then some hardware stores will cut a simple shape for you from thick acrylic.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 AM

I usually buy sheets of plastic specially made for making templates. You can find them at QS and box stores. Some of the sheets have a ruler grid, usually by 1/8" so you know you are making your template exactly square.