FMQ 1930 Singer 66 problem

Old 01-17-2015, 08:16 AM

Default FMQ 1930 Singer 66 problem

I'm having a problem with the upper thread breaking when FMQ. I did lots of FMQ with no issues prior to this. I've tried adjusting the upper tension down all the way until i started seeing loops on the bottom then turned it up tiny amounts until there were no loops. I've cleaned out all lint and oiled the machine. I've used organ needles, schmetz quilting needles, schmetz universal. All brand new needles. The tension disks are clean. I've re-threaded the machine numerous times, looking at the manual to be sure it's correct. I'm using Gutermann thread. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try? When i sew straight without FMQ I have no problem. I'm using a generic FMQ foot. I have the stitch length adjuster turned all the way out so it's what 0 would be on another machine. Here is a photo.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Where is the thread breaking at?
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 10:13 AM

It shreds and breaks around the little thread guide hook that is on the faceplate or right at the needle. The other day i used a needle file and smoothed inside that hook. there did seem to be a burr in there that when i ran a piece of thread back and forth in the hook it seemed to get caught. That is now smooth but it's still happening. Also, when it happens I get a little bit of a bird's nest underneath.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:25 PM

I have a little more information. Right before the thread breaks I hear a noise that sounds like the bobbin clanking around. Just now I stopped sewing as soon as I heard that noise and before the thread broke and snapped a picture. It appears that the thread is getting wrapped around the needle and there is extra thread, like maybe the bobbin thread is pulled up to the top of the work maybe. Here is the picture.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Here is the same problem from a different angle.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:39 PM

Looks like there's a wrap around the needle now too. I know it didn't start off that way. Maybe someone else has seen this problem before.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 PM

I am not experienced with FMQ, however the 66s need to be threaded a wee bit different when you do darning so, is the thread running through the hole on the curved thread guide to the left of the tension, or under it? For darning the old manuals say to run the thread through the hole.

I suspect it would work that way for FMQ'ing too.

Joe
Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanks Joe, I will try that. I have it running under and not through the hole.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:48 PM

When I first started using my 66 I threaded it through that hole. Then I read the diagram and it said not to. that made me wonder why the hole was there if it wasn't needed. Now I know. Thanks Joe.

It's certainly more secure running through the hole. I wonder if the thread would hang down and pop loose during darning when threaded the normal way. I never tried FMQ on my 66, I loved it for piecing though.

Have you re-checked your bottom tension? My 66's adjustment screw liked to back out when I was running the machine. I would have to re-adjust it occasionally. I gave the machine away before I tried any permanent fixes.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 07:46 PM

I have no suggestions, but am glad to read this. I'm working on a 66 now to get it back in shape and was planning on using it for FMQ. This will be very helpful. I hope these suggestions have cured your problem.