Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Atlas Precision Machine? >

Vintage Atlas Precision Machine?

Vintage Atlas Precision Machine?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Vintage Atlas Precision Machine?

Hi Everyone,

I was just at a local resale shop, where I bought a beautiful Atlas Precision sewing machine, circa 1957. I keep hearing that these particular machines are workhorses with consistent even stitches. And you can drop the feed dogs. The retro pink color is kind of cool too. There are very few chips in the paint and it came with the original pink pedal and the original case.

So, here's the thing. Because the motor needs replacing, the owner of the resale shop sold me the machine for $10. I don't know anything about sewing machine repair, so I bought it, thinking the most I had to lose was ten bucks. Does anyone know anything about replacing a motor on one of these machines? It's 1.2 amps. Any other advice or information y'all might have on the Atlas Precision machines would be welcome too!

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Banned

My first thought is why did he say the motor needs replaced? Very often these motors need nothing more than cleaned and possibly the brushes replaced. It's very easy to do, there are tons of tutorials on the net. I cringe when I see machines with wrong color replacement motors as most of the time it's been done for convenience and laziness rather than real need.
But, having said that, if you feel it should be replaced, new motors are readily available and inexpensive.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Motor-Ne...s-SCE35L09.htm

Cari
Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM

Thanks Cari! That's encouraging. The shop is in a warehouse and has a little bit of everything and the owner doesn't have any particular knowledge of sewing machines. She said her mother tried to use the machine and the motor started smoking and the machine stalled. I was so excited to get the machine that I posted this thread before I even made it home.