Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Preference for Wide Ironing Board >

Preference for Wide Ironing Board

Preference for Wide Ironing Board

Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 AM

Default Preference for Wide Ironing Board

Can anyone recommend a wide ironing board? My friends husband forgot to bring hers to Carolina for the winter. She thinks the one she has at home is a Rowenta. Thanks so much..........
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I made mine ..... used my old metal ironing board and screwed on a piece of plywood. Stapled on flannelette for some padding. Then a washable cover. All for zero dollars!!!(yes, it had value, but being that it was all just sitting around, no out-of-pocket expense at the time!!

So head on out to a thrift store for your ironing board, stop by for some plywood, and then you get to do a FART for the flannelette (or batting) and the cover.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Nancy Notions sells wide ironing boards; a bit pricey though.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Bought my big ironing board at WalMart. It isn't "The Big Board" but is wider than the regular ones
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 AM

My dh also made a wide top for me. (following a pattern I found here. ) Mine fits over my regular ironing board so I can remove it to iron shirts, etc... (Like I ever do!) It's also handy to have it separate so I can handle each piece without it being too heavy.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=Kris P;7069658]My dh also made a wide top for me. (following a pattern I found here. ) Mine fits over my regular ironing board so I can remove it to iron shirts, etc... (Like I ever do!) It's also handy to have it separate so I can handle each piece without it being too heavy.[/QUOTE

Mine was also made by SIL. The ones they sell are outrageously priced. I found instructions on line.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I made mine ..... used my old metal ironing board and screwed on a piece of plywood. Stapled on flannelette for some padding. Then a washable cover. All for zero dollars!!!(yes, it had value, but being that it was all just sitting around, no out-of-pocket expense at the time!!

So head on out to a thrift store for your ironing board, stop by for some plywood, and then you get to do a FART for the flannelette (or batting) and the cover.
I pretty much did what QuiltE did except mine is portable. It regularly sits on top of a small cabinet that I have in my sewing room & when I need extra room, I put it against a wall. It is made from plywood, added some padding & made a cover for the top. The only time I use my regular ironing board is to do my husband's shirts. I LOVE my big board & it's one of the best things I have done for quilting.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 AM

I just put towels on my cutting table and use that for ironing large pieces/yardage.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I have a piece of plywood I covered with fabric from big box store. It's heavy enough I can use on my regular which has adjustable height with out attaching. I have a few ironing surfaces. Have also done as NJ Quilter has done. I iron on the back side of the fabric also so I don't scorch the fabric. Especially light colored fabric.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:26 AM

My husband made one for me with my old metal ironing board, piece of plywood and one of the purchased wide board covers. He put stabilizer 1X4' on the back which slip down over the metal ironing board top so it is very stable. He screwed it on too, but can easily be removed if I need the old board. So far that has not happened. I purchased the cover at Joann's with a coupon. I think it' made by Clover and has gridwork printed on it. I love it.