Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stencil's do you make your own or buy them? >

Stencil's do you make your own or buy them?

Stencil's do you make your own or buy them?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Stencil's do you make your own or buy them?

So I have a book that has many stencil patterns in it and I like to print off different ones online and would like to start making my own stencils. But I have also seen some online to buy but feel it may get kind of costly to buy them. I would like to know your option if you make your own or do you buy them and where you get them? How much do you buy them for?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I bought stencils for hand quilting but I haven't bought any for machine quilting. I FMQ freehand with just position registration marks with white chalk.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Both, I make my own when I want/ need to, I've picked some up here & there at quilt shows and shops when I've seen one I like. I always have template plastic on hand so its easy & fun sometimes to make my own. If I see one I like I buy it
Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Both, I make my own when I want/ need to, I've picked some up here & there at quilt shows and shops when I've seen one I like. I always have template plastic on hand so its easy & fun sometimes to make my own. If I see one I like I buy it
CKCowl .... would you please explain a little more as to how you make the stencils?
Yes, I know, cut them out!!
What I am wondering is, how do you cut the template plastic, if you have inner holes to cut? Do you use an exacto knife? or is there a special tool? Any other info for making stencils would be appreciated, particularly to make thinner lines or dots, to be able to use a pounce pad. THANK YOU!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Making your own to save money is a waste of time and will cost about the same unless you want an original design. They aren't that expensive.

http://quiltingstencils.com/viewall.aspx
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM

I have found a website
http://www.michaels.com/creative-woo.../10005558.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B007C7YTFQ

I don't know if this links will work but both are wood burning tools you can get to make your stencils and plastic stencil sheets from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-Clear-P...stencil+sheets

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
CKCowl .... would you please explain a little more as to how you make the stencils?
Yes, I know, cut them out!!
What I am wondering is, how do you cut the template plastic, if you have inner holes to cut? Do you use an exacto knife? or is there a special tool? Any other info for making stencils would be appreciated, particularly to make thinner lines or dots, to be able to use a pounce pad. THANK YOU!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I have collected my stencils for at least 25 years buying them at quilt shows or at different quilt shops. I bought whatever I thought I could use.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:23 PM

I am not talented enough to make my own. I have purchased a number of them on line ... I am very happy with them. I have bought from Amazon, but buy mostly from Quilting Creations. They have a huge selection

http://quiltingcreations.com/
Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I very often make my own. Jim gets me these wonderful thick pieces of plastic and I cut them out. I draw the shape with a marker and just used scissors. I'm sure I could not find a pitcher of iced tea in the stores.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4462.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 AM

I've made my own, using an x-acto knife. It was not easy nor pleasant. It got the job done as it was a very custom stencil I needed/wanted. Otherwise, I just buy them. For the most part they are not that expensive.