Carbon Brush Size?

Old 02-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Default Carbon Brush Size?

I've been working on the Supre-Macy and found that there was a LOT of carbon on and around the motor. I tried to open it by removing the long bolts and nuts, but it didn't come apart and I was afraid I'd break something. But I did unscrew the brush caps and found only springs and carbon dust. Since there's no stub to measure, I can't figure out what size I need to replace the brushes.

This is a Toyota TZ-20 and there are many similar machines under Morse (MZZ), White and other names. The motor label is almost gone, but it does say Modern. (I boosted the contrast in the photo so it's readable.) I searched online and just got more confused - one site offered generic brushes for Japanese machines, but they came in small, medium, and large and I don't know how to tell what I have. SewClassic says their brushes don't fit and Sew4Less didn't seem to have a match. Does anyone have experience with a similar motor and can tell me what size to order?

Thank you![ATTACH=CONFIG]509056[/ATTACH]i
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Banned

A good old fashioned hardware store should stock a supply of carbon brushes. Take the motor with you to be sure you get the right size. Get them a little big if necessary and sand them down to fit. a sewing machine repair shop should have them too.

Cari
Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
A good old fashioned hardware store should stock a supply of carbon brushes. Take the motor with you to be sure you get the right size. Get them a little big if necessary and sand them down to fit. a sewing machine repair shop should have them too.

Cari
Thanks! I didn't know hardware stores had them. We live out in the country, but there's a good hardware store in Woodstock, about 40 minutes away. I'll take it over next time we're out.