Non-Profit Quilt Group

Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM

Default Non-Profit Quilt Group

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm treasurer of our local Quilt Guild and we refer to ourselves as non-profit. We don't seem to have any papers or proof of being a non-profit group. We do have a Federal Tax number that appears on our checking account statement. Can I use this number to figure out if we are non-profit or not? I've tried various websites (state, federal, etc) and do not find our name in any listings they offer. Can anyone help with this ? Thank you.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 AM

Maybe this link will let you type in the number and check the status of your guild?

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-P...s-Select-Check
Old 02-14-2015, 11:49 AM

Go online to Guidestar.org and type in your guild's name and you should be able to ascertain your nonprofit status.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:15 PM

Maybe I can help a bit - I just went through a similar issue with our high school football boosters. A Federal tax ID number is actually a EIN or Employer Identification Number - which allows you to operate as an organization and have a bank account. To be an official 501(c)3 non-profit, tax exempt group there is much more involved set of paperwork that must be filed and approved by the IRS. You should be able to contact the IRS and ask if that tax exempt status was ever obtained for your guild. Hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:33 AM

Thank you that have posted. I'll check out these suggestions.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:15 AM

If your group is non-profit they should have been filing a tax exempt status report that is $25 per year. If this hasn't been paid you may no longer be non-profit. But I would check with the IRS to make sure as suggested in previous post.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Our guild is has a tax number that's all. We have never filed income tax or paid sales tax. Three members are lawyers and two are CPA's ( one our treasurer for years) so we go by their advice for our state. If all five are wrong then we are just wrong.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 AM

To become a non-profit, there are many steps. Your guild members may not be so much wrong, as not well versed in that particular area of tax code.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingWillie View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm treasurer of our local Quilt Guild and we refer to ourselves as non-profit. We don't seem to have any papers or proof of being a non-profit group. We do have a Federal Tax number that appears on our checking account statement. Can I use this number to figure out if we are non-profit or not? I've tried various websites (state, federal, etc) and do not find our name in any listings they offer. Can anyone help with this ? Thank you.
i just finished creating a non-profit. There are web sites for corporation commissioner in your state. It will tell you if it is for profit or non profit. If you do not have the original certificate it costs about $125 to get one from the federal government. You can also call your state comm as they are very helpful

Good luck. The process has taken me 6 months so far, but I am almost done
Old 02-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

If you are really a non-profit, you must have some sort of license with your state. Check into that. Fabric companies will not donate anything to any group here in CA without that documentation.