Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Steamer???? >

Hand Steamer????

Hand Steamer????

Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Hand Steamer????

Does anyone use a hand steamer for getting out wrinkles while quilting? I know we press our quilt tops and backing before we attach it to our frames but it seems there is always one or two that get by us. Also I read where there is too much quilt in an area, you can steam it away for the most part. I've used my regular iron to do this so I know it does work but I thought having a hand steamer near the frame would be ideal. I'm basically lazy and like to have things nearby when I want them. Plus I can always use it for touch ups on my clothes when necessary.

Any ideas what brands to look at? Would like those who have one to give their opinions as they can give the pros and cons. I did go into Amazon.com and check out what they have to offer as well as the opinions for each. I'd like to stay under $100 if possible too so those steamers that sit on the floor are a little out of my price range but it doesn't mean I won't go for them if that's the better item. I don't want to have to replace it in a year.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Wow...I've never thought of that, but it certainly makes sense to me. I have a travel sized steamer that worked very well on my suits/blouses when I traveled for work. I'll have to dig it out...no idea of the brand...just know it worked!!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Does anyone use a hand steamer for getting out wrinkles while quilting? I know we press our quilt tops and backing before we attach it to our frames but it seems there is always one or two that get by us. Also I read where there is too much quilt in an area, you can steam it away for the most part. I've used my regular iron to do this so I know it does work but I thought having a hand steamer near the frame would be ideal. I'm basically lazy and like to have things nearby when I want them. Plus I can always use it for touch ups on my clothes when necessary.

Any ideas what brands to look at? Would like those who have one to give their opinions as they can give the pros and cons. I did go into Amazon.com and check out what they have to offer as well as the opinions for each. I'd like to stay under $100 if possible too so those steamers that sit on the floor are a little out of my price range but it doesn't mean I won't go for them if that's the better item. I don't want to have to replace it in a year.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
great idea... thanks for sharing
Old 03-02-2015, 02:55 PM

I picked up a small hand held one at a yard sale decades ago for either $5 or $10. Definitely has advantages but I don't have enough use to justify spending more than that for one. The one I did get required a very small amount of salt in the water (included measuring spoon). Not sure why but it worked.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:46 PM

Check your local thrift shops. Many folks buy but don't use them and end up donating them to the thrift shop. I have one that I picked up for $5 to steam curtains. Buying one this way will let you know if its going to be of use or just get in the way. If you don't use it like you thought you would you won't be out a lot of money and can just donate it back.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 PM

I also have used the travel steamer that needed salt added to the water.

Seems like somebody borrowed and did not return it, as I have no idea where or when I saw it last. May have been in my daughter's luggage that got lost in transit a few years ago.

Do remember that it was quite helpful. Would like to find another one as it would come in handy for steaming table draping for shows too.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 PM

I have one - my daughter gave it to me. And it works well enough on silk or things I am afraid to use an iron on, but it takes a lot of salt. I never thought of using it in quilting because it does expel a large amount of steam and not sure if the salt is really that great for the fabric.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM

I have one that I used for work. It does not need any salt, just water. Now that I'm retired it's packed away and I can't recall the brand...sorry.

They are great to use on larger fabric pieces that can be hung up and gone over quickly with the wand. Mine produced steam continuously, so the room sometimes got pretty muggy. It's bulky and cumbersome, even though it has wheels. It can also be dangerous if someone walks in front of the steaming wand while it's on. The travel steamer sounds like a more practical idea.

~ C
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM

The whole reason for this thread was a video I watched put out by Sandy Aul (Aulranch) talked about when you have a quilt that has too much border or even in certain areas due to how it was assembled. While you're quilting it and find this problem, you can sometimes steam it out right on the frame. I used my regular iron once to see how this worked and it did work nicely. Just thought a hand steamer would be nice to have for those times when its necessary. I didn't read on the new hand steamers whether they needed salt. I remember one stating to use tap water but I'll keep my eyes open on the "salt" bit and also look for one at my local thrift shop. Good idea to try that before plunking down real money for one.