Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border help >

Border help

Border help

Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Border help

If I want to make a nice border like some I see here (piano key, flying geese, etc), something besides plain fabric strips, how in the world do I measure to get them to be even on each side of the quilt? I have never been taught this. I have tried to read things on line but can not wrap my little brain around it. Any suggestions will be sooooo appreciated.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Usually an inside border needs to be attached to the quilt so that the number of units (width of a piano keys) can be divisible evenly by the length of the border. I might start out with something simple like the piano keys.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Get the "Border Workbook" by Janet Kime. You can get a used copy reasonably priced on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...qid=1425853218
She has patterns for lots of pieced borders and instructions on how to make them fit your quilt perfectly.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:30 PM

I have done a few quilts with piano key borders. I love the look!

Usually I am not working with a pattern. I like to work with even measurements, so what I do is to measure the center part of my quilt. If the number is odd or fractions, I work out on paper what measurement would give me a nice round number say 3-5" more than the center (finished size) and I adjust the size of my inner border to get me to that point. You can always make it a little bigger, then trim it down if you need to.

Mostly I have 2-1/2" strips that I am working with and I will either strip piece them, then cut into segments the width of my border (plus seam allowances), or if they are a bunch of scraps, I'll just assemble a bunch, then trim them down to the width I want after. I like to do segments that are 10" finished, so 5 strips. It's easy to calculate how many I have vs. how many I need. When I get the majority of a piece done for a side, if I have to add a few strips to make it the right size it's easy. For starters, it might be easier for you to use a corner stone rather than miter the corner. If you are off a tad, use a slightly wider/narrower strip and it won't be noticeable. Another option is to use random size strips. Then you can adjust much easier when you get to the end. I recommend stay stitching around the piano key border when you are done so it doesn't start to unravel.

If you have a particular quilt in mind that you want to add a piano key border to and need help with the math, give a shout.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM

thank you for the help
Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

I work out my border as close as I can. Sonetimes a pattern just isn't divisable to work out perfectly on all sides and the corners. In this case, I get it as close as possible and put a cheater strip/border between the pieced border and the quilt.