Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello: Surf Song and Misty Morning >

Bargello: Surf Song and Misty Morning

Bargello: Surf Song and Misty Morning

Old 03-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Red face Bargello: Surf Song and Misty Morning

I just ordered the book by Eileen Wright "Twist and Turn Bargello". Then I read somewhere on-line that the "Surf Song" pattern doesn't have directions for a lap size quilt....however, the "Misty Morning" pattern has directions for a lap size.

My questions: 1) What is the difference in the 2 patterns? Visually, I'm not noticing much difference in seeing photos on Pinterest. 2) Would anyone be willing to tell me how much fabric and how many different colors I need to do a lap size in either pattern? I'm anxious to get started once I receive the book and would like to have my fabrics on hand.

This will be my first bargello so if you've made either or both of theses patterns and have any tips to share, I would love to know.

Thank you
Sharon
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 PM

I have the book you reference. It has the Surf Song pattern but not one called Misty Morning, so can't address what any differences are. In the book, she gives directions for Surf Song in three sizes: 98" x 96 1/2", 108" x 110" by adding a border and the third is a smaller wall hanging 46 1/2" x 48 1/2". I have not made a Bargello yet so I don't know how to reduce the fabric requirements to lap size. The fabric requirements for the 98" x 96" sixe are 5/8 yard of 24 different fabrics not counting binding and backing. The smaller wall hanging size calls for 1/4 yard of 20 different fabrics. Maybe you can extrapolate between the two.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:46 PM

Jeanne S, thank you so much. I was thinking of a size about 42-44" wide by 60" long w/a border. I will play around with the "math" to see if I can figure something out. However, at least I know I need somewhere between 20-24 different fabrics ... and I may just play it safe and get 1/2 yd. of each. Ha!

Geez, picking out 24 fabrics is giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
Jeanne S, thank you so much. I was thinking of a size about 42-44" wide by 60" long w/a border. I will play around with the "math" to see if I can figure something out. However, at least I know I need somewhere between 20-24 different fabrics ... and I may just play it safe and get 1/2 yd. of each. Ha!

Geez, picking out 24 fabrics is giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Thanks again!
Sharon, I have made the wall hanging version of Surf Song. Mine measures at 48 x 49. It uses 20 fabrics, eight of one color family and 12 of another.

I also made a Surf Song that was 60 x 60. I cut each strip a bit wider to do that, but I sure can't remember how much. It might have been half an inch? It is do-able though, and I am sure you can make it the size you want. Just take your time with the math. I was pleased with the result, though I thought my second one lost the pattern a bit, the way I enlarged it.

I have the second book and Misty Morning is in it. It measures 61x80 1/2.

Let me find pictures of my two, in case they are helpful to you.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001646.jpg   s8001703.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 02:40 PM

Dina, both pieces are gorgeous! I've tried to attach a pic of one from Pinterest I found in blues and beige that I want to make for our beach condo. Hope it works. My daughter says it makes her think of ocean waves and sand. I am a little concerned about matching all the seams so I need to make sure I'm consistent with my 1/4" piecing for sure! LOL

Thank you for sharing!
Attached Thumbnails bargello-blues-beiges.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
Dina, both pieces are gorgeous! I've tried to attach a pic of one from Pinterest I found in blues and beige that I want to make for our beach condo. Hope it works. My daughter says it makes her think of ocean waves and sand. I am a little concerned about matching all the seams so I need to make sure I'm consistent with my 1/4" piecing for sure! LOL

Thank you for sharing!
That will be beautiful, Sharon. Don't worry about the 1/4 inch piecing. You will do fine. A Bargello is much easier than it looks, in case you haven't done one before. Be sure to read all the instructions very carefully, and all will be good. If you haven't made one before, you might want to make one of the placemats at the back of the book. She writes the instructions there for a real beginner, and I made one just to figure out the organization of the whole thing. It helped me a lot. Plus, it's a cute placemat. Sort of wish I had made more.

Hmmmm, might have a picture of it somewhere. It is quick to put together and it sure left me feeling more confident about diving into the Surf Song.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001584.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM

I agree, that blue and tan quilt looks like the ocean waves and sand---perfect for a beach house! Post pictures when you get it done, would love to see it. A Bargello is on my ToDo list!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 PM

I would love to make one if I could have someone pick out all the colors for me. I can pick out about 5 or 6 colors and then I am stuck. Lol I think it is great that you can pick so many colors and they all blend togeather.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
I would love to make one if I could have someone pick out all the colors for me. I can pick out about 5 or 6 colors and then I am stuck. Lol I think it is great that you can pick so many colors and they all blend togeather.
The instructions in the book are VERY helpful about selecting fabric....and then I had a lot of help from the good folks here. I bought more fabric than I needed so I could eliminate down, and I kept posting here asking...."What about these??" And, actually, you don't need 5 or 6 colors....just two colors (for the Surf Song), but different shades of those colors, from dark to light. Then I tend to add black and/or white because I like the contrast at the end of a line of color.

Give it a shot. If I can do it, anyone can. I promise.

Dina
Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM

I did the surf song....my avatar....I did have a hard time finding all 24 fabrics, 12 of each colorway....I made mine queen size and it was a bit tedious, but I made a table runner first to get the hang of the process so the actual large quilt was much easier....organization is key....and matching all those seams is much easier than it looks, never pinned at all....just locked the seams together with fingers and held until under the needle....good luck