Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for an inexpensive quilting software >

Looking for an inexpensive quilting software

Looking for an inexpensive quilting software

Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 PM

One that is easy to understand, lets you design your own blocks, and tells you how much fabric you will need. Does anyone have one that they recommend that is all that?
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:05 PM

I've only used EQ and it does all that. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 PM

I started with Quilt Design Wizard which is a simpler, easy to use programme (and much cheaper) before going on to EQ. You have a library of blocks to design with but can't design a block from scratch. QDW has its own website with lots of info. (www.quiltdesignwizard.com) - worth having a look.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 PM

There are a few on the market for around $30. EQ6 does have an inexpensive version called "quilt design Wizard" and Jenny Haskins has one called "Perfect Quilt Express". I have the Haskins one and wished I saved up for the EQ6 full version. It does allows you to design a quilt BUT all the blocks must be the same size and you are limited in many other ways - such as you cannot place a row of blocks in or between borders. It does allow you to down load images of fabric but that too is dificult. It wants .bmp and most fabric companys provide .jpeg (which you must convert individually)

If you are not desperate - wait to afford the EQ6 (in my humble opinion).
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I started with Quilt Design Wizard and it was OK. After some saving I got EQ6 and wish I had got it a long time ago. It is definitely worth the money.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 AM

I have the EQ6 and Quilt Wizard and have to say I still prefer the Wizard over my EQ.....I can zip right in there grab what I need and scoot out w/o all the steps to get what I want out of EQ. That is just maybe me, I don't know....I don't want to spend time I could use quilting on a computer over 1 pattern:)LOL One big plus for the EQ is that other CD's run thru theirs if you buy them down the road. Keep us posted on what you decided on and how it worked out for you:)Skeat
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Does Quilt Design wizard let you pick colors, and does it tell you an estimate on how much fabric to get?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 AM

It has a library of fabrics in all colors and prints.
It also has a web site where each month you can download a new pattern.
I like QDW very much, it does everything I need .
You cannot design your own blocks with it, but has a nice library of basic blocks. It says 200 but it dosnt come close to that.
I like being able to see what blocks go togather best. You can make the blocks whatever size you need.
You can print out foundation or pieced block patterns. It gives you instructions for it all.
It is easy to use and a great way to get started before jumping into the more complicated and expensive software.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM

I also have quilt Wizard, It tells you how much fabric to purchase, I find that is estimates high, at least on the ones that I did, I had enough for the back of the quilt on one of them.