Flange Binding

Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Default Flange Binding

I have read this excellent tutorial:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html

and I have watched the McCall's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF_FIFeStY

My question is, what color of thread do I put in my bobbin?? My background is a very pastel pink but the binding is the bright pink. Need to get this done today. Going to take this slowly since I have never sewn binding by machine before. Will be pressing the backside of the binding as discussed in the video while I wait patiently for your answers. THANKS again for getting me thru this project. The mother of the bride saw it yesterday and broke down in tears.

PS: picture doesn't show the binding having been sewn to the back but it is.
Attached Thumbnails pink-table-runner.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 AM

I think you need to match the back unless the stitching is actually shows on the binding itself
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 AM

Match bobbin thread to back, and pull the front binding over far enough so you cannot see the stitching where the binding is attached. That should keep your bobbi stitches on the back side completely off of the binding. I stitch in the ditch pretty slowly (usually sew very fast) so I can have some control over the outcome. I love love love this technique and have done it many times. Mostly hit or miss the first few times as to where the stitches landed, now slowing down has it spot on!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I match my thread as close to the backing since it will show on the back. When I do my flange for the binding, I try to think ahead and match it to the thread colour I will be stitching with. If you stitch right in the ditch of the flange though it barely shows on the front and any pink will look nice. You could use clear thread if the backing is totally different from the pink front.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Your table runner is darling. Do you mind sharing the pattern?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM

I match my bobbin to the backing color since those stitches will definitely show. I match my top thread to the flange color so that it matches since I sew on the flange as close to the seam as possible. I pull the binding over about an eighth beyond the line of stitching from the sewing of the binding to the back. I also use my blind hem foot (some call it a stitch in the ditch foot) to sew on the binding in front. Bring the binding over past the stitching until it touches the center piece on the foot. The center of my needle is 3.5 so I set it at 6.5 and the stitching comes just about at the seam. Clear as mud?? Ann