Restoring a Japanese 15-clone

Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Default Restoring a Japanese 15-clone

I've searched several threads within this forum for information on restoring paint on a Japanese 15-clone. I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered already but my searching just didn't yield anything. "Will the Real Singer-15 clone' thread seems to be mostly photos of clones and 'Can this Machine be Saved' thread seemed to deal with mostly older machines.

I could use advise on two topics of restoring a blue '50s Japanese 15-clone:

First of all, I would like to put a spoked balance wheel on it along with a repro handcrank. Both of these parts are black but I would like to repaint them a matching coat of blue. Has anyone done this before? I'm curious about how to prep and prime the parts and where to go to get paint matched and put into a spray can. What type of clear coat should I put on it?

Secondly,there are a few areas in which paint has been chipped off the head and I would like to try to repair/repaint these areas. I've used Glenn's tutorial about repairing/restoring the shellac surface of older machines and I guess I'm looking for some information for a similar repair for a mid-century machine which probably has a different type of paint and a different protecting coating.

I'm going to try and post a sized-down photo of the machine. It is a 3/4 size made by the Precision Sewing Machine Company, with an Ambassador badge.

If someone has documented restoring paint or repainting a Japanese machine from the 50s please point me to the thread. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel. If there isn't any information on something like this I will start by getting advice from an automobile store and I'll repost to this thread to let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Susan N.
Attached Thumbnails dpp_8264.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM

I am not sure how to do a total restore of the paint orpaint the wheel and hand crank. I have fixed some small paint chips like shownin your picture, by using a paint pen from a craft store. These pens cost muchless than auto touchup paint and worked well for me. Just took a few coats tobuild up level with the original paint. Finding one to match the color istricky.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 PM

It's spendy but an automotive paint store can mix a matching color and even load it in a spray can if you prefer. The chances of finding an exact match in the touch up paints is slim but it's worth looking. You might get lucky. You might try model paint too. It's been many years since I built models but Testor's used to have a good selection of metallic colors.
Test a small out of sight area with alcohol. If the finish softens, it's shellac. If not, then it's most likely a lacquer clear coat over the paint.

For the handwheel I would roughen up the existing paint with a fine sandpaper then prime it before painting. Tape off everything you don't want painted. The primer will seal the old paint so you won't have any compatibility issues.
Rodney
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you can get some paint and paint it up with flowers or something. As far as it goes with the HC you may not be able to match the paint but maybe you could do some contrasting color.