Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother 1500s + Janome universal table? >

Brother 1500s + Janome universal table?

Brother 1500s + Janome universal table?

Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 AM

Default Brother 1500s + Janome universal table?

My elna 7300 (same as janome 6600) is on the fritz and I think I might like to take some of the burden off her and buy a Brother pq1500s for most or all of the FM I do. I vaguely remember a dealer once told me the Brother would fit in the janome table that I have, though I'm not finding anything online that would indicate that it would. I wanted to ask here if anyone specifically knows if i can use my present table for the Brother 1500s?? If not, I will need to spend more and go w/ the 1600p..that one I'm quite sure will fit even tho I think I prefer the Brother...??
Old 04-30-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if it will fit.
My Daughter has the Brother machine for a couple of years and loves it. It came with an extension.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:57 AM

If your Elna is in the table, measure the Elna and compare to the Brother. The height of the base of the machine might be the factor, but there are always shims. Sewezi uses shims. Getting to the bobbin might also be an issue, but if you buy a different extension table, like a Sew Steady, you have to move the table anyway to change the bobbin.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:09 PM

From measurements I see online, the Brother won't fit the janome table. I just distinctly remember a dealer telling me it would and all the 9" straight-stitch machines appear to be the same size. I hope my Elna can be put right again and if not, I would consider the 1600p or keep working with my Singer 15 to get the tension tweaked. Once its right, its really right but its been a elusive task this week.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM

My Elna 7100 is in a Janome table & I love that it has a flip door on top to access the end bobbin. I just got lucky when buying it on sale,,,the seller had sold her machine and forgotten the table was stored away. I think I remember paying about $12 for it. I measured my Elna carefully, and it works beautifully. Not sure which Janome she had owned.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM

Just FYI - I had my Brother 1500 in a cabinet that was designed for Pfaff 2170 class of machines. The Brother was 17 inches (I found out the 19" measurement includes the flywheel.) and the inset in the cabinet was only 23"
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM

I sold my 6600 to my Mom and I replaced her with a Juki 2010 (same size, I think as the Brother 1500). The extra height with FMQing is wonderful! And I have an Elna quilters dream that I can use for decorative stitches which is almost never!!

I have a Arrow table and the 6600 just barely fit in side to side. There was some extra space in the back of the machine, but not enough at all on the sides...

When I put in the Juki I bought an insert and it's perfect now. So the Juki is slightly smaller west to east and also smaller north and south than the Janome 6600.... I'm not home so I can't measure my machine.... I don't have the same table, but if the brother is the same size as the Juki 2010 (which I think it is or close) I would say it would fit no problem. But does Jamone make inserts for machines that aren't their own? How are you going to fill in the gaps? I really really like my insert- it makes FMQing sooo much easier!

BTW- changing the bobbin is a breeze. My machine stays put, and I just slide the insert to the left and access the door that way.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Oh Susan this gives me hope!! I hadn't realized the 19" measurement i saw online included the fly-wheel! If its not too wide (north to south), it should fit. The Janome table opening is 7" wide. As far as an insert, my plan was to place the extension table it comes with on the table and possibly raise the machine a tad bit if necessary. It would give a supportive surface and still be flush...less the depth of the insert and this assumes the insert has no legs or has removable ones. actually if it'd just fit that opening, i'd be thrilled even if machine bed is a little taller... it'd still work for FM (i think/hope). and if a little lower, can raise machine to fit.

Last edited by mea12; 05-01-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM

Ohhhh- yes!! I do think it'll work! I had to go up way higher on my table and actually am using a think piece of particle board to raise my machine. Even with the base of the table at it's highest level it wasn't high enough. I'll try to measure my juki for you this weekend, but maybe if yo uhave someone with a brother measure theirs it might be best. If you can swing the extra few hundred dollars I think you would LOVE the Juki 2010. It has a speed control and that is worth it for me!! I cna't FMQ at warp speeds.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:53 PM

BTW- I asked a dealer why Brother would include the flywheel. Response was for carrying cases for machine. You have to get the whole machine in.