Left hand needle only?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Left hand needle only?

Hello all,

Does anyone know why some vintage machines S/S only left of center? Nothing on the net. There has to be an advantage for this design, but I can't figure out why it is that way.

Thanks,

Soman2

The other Rodney
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 PM

easier to make, only has to go sideways one direction from "base" Center need to go both left and right from "base".

Most of these old ones are built to have the entire shuttle move with the needle, so that makes a big difference, once they went to moving just the needle, left/right/center was not near as big of a deal.

For most clothing construction, left homing is not that big of a deal - however I actually sew more often with my needle over to the right of center.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:45 PM

hmmm

wonder if the OP meant SS or Z/Z ?

I guess there is ONLY center with a Straight stitch.....
Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 PM

S/S = straight stitch
Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 PM

I am confused on the question then, are we talking about ZZ machine in SS mode ? or SS only machines ?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I am confused on the question then, are we talking about ZZ machine in SS mode ? or SS only machines ?
ZZ machines in straight stitch mode.

Joe
Old 05-22-2015, 02:38 PM

hehe - there is no such thing as a left centered straight stitch machine - when you have a round hole, left or right gets you broken needles.

There are many japanses made zig zag machines that have the needle all the way to the left in straight stitch mode, and then as you widen for zig zag, it goes from the left to the right- farther as the zig zag gets wider.

With most LRC machines, you can put the needle to the left and then it will perform the same as a left centered machine, so if you have a pattern zigzag, you can get a different look as it will all line up on the left and vary on the right.

What I don't like, my Kenmore is an off center homing needle.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:51 PM

well HMMMMM
I always assumed my 306w was center homing, but thinking about it, I do not have a SS needle plate of foot to go with it I just use the ZZ parts set to center and press on . I wonder if it would make a more consistant stitch Set all the way to one side or the other... up a gainst a hard stop so to speak instead of held centered buy linkage and stuff?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
well HMMMMM
I always assumed my 306w was center homing, but thinking about it, I do not have a SS needle plate of foot to go with it I just use the ZZ parts set to center and press on . I wonder if it would make a more consistant stitch Set all the way to one side or the other... up a gainst a hard stop so to speak instead of held centered buy linkage and stuff?
Your 306 "is" a center homing machine.
Our 319 uses the same mechanics as your 306 and it does have a SS needle plate.
If your 306 isn't centered, then the bite needs to be adjusted.

Joe
Old 05-22-2015, 05:24 PM

greywulf - once you encounter a left homing machine, you'll understand. It is physically impossible to sew a straight stitch with the needle anywhere other than the far left position. If you can sew a straight stitch in the left, center and right, then you have a center homing machine. Most vintage zig zag machines only have those three setting for straight stitch. With my main sewing machine, I have center, 6 positions to the left and 6 to the right. When I set it to 4 right, I get a nice 1/4 seam when lining the fabric up with the edge of my regular foot.