Why Can't Sewette Sew?

Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Default Why Can't Sewette Sew?

I have been struggling with this little black machine foreveh! I get a few stitches and a lot of skipping pulling. This is a machine from deep in the hoard and who knows what Igor did to her before she came to me. She's been cleaned up and oiled but will not sew. I've checked her needle to hook ratio, tried changing out thread, bobbin, needle, a different hook, a different bobbin case..but that's not it. I've adjusted her foot pressure and that didn't help.

Something seems wrong in the tension parts. This is what she has. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0755-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0757-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-03-2015, 02:34 PM

I take it she is some kind of a 15 or clone with the tension on the front ? and is there a pin that releases tension on the up ( or is it down ) stroke ? those some times wear or go missing . just a shot in the dark.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 PM

She is a 15 clone. Yes she still has the pin and I have watched to be sure it is catching and releasing as it should.
Keep the ideas coming! I am about to pull my hair out!
Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM

is it failing to catch the bobbin thread when it skips stitches ? if so it means the loop is not being formed big enough for the hook to grab... could be a top tension problem, could be thread hanging in the eye of the needle could be a "catch" or bur somewhere in the thread path..... but the root cause is failure of making the loop.... anything that can cause that is a suspect.

And it sounds like you have checked or changed most of those ... pretty much at a loss needle orientation? wear in the needle bar allowing it to "wander" ?

Last edited by greywuuf; 06-03-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
is it failing to catch the bobbin thread when it skips stitches ? if so it means the loop is not being formed big enough for the hook to grab... could be a top tension problem, could be thread hanging in the eye of the needle could be a "catch" or bur somewhere in the thread path..... but the root cause is failure of making the loop.... anything that can cause that is a suspect.

And it sounds like you have checked or changed most of those ... pretty much at a loss needle orientation? wear in the needle bar allowing it to "wander" ?
I tried threading it the other way and also turning the needle. Nope. Needle has to go flat to the right, threads left to right. I am going to go try again. You are asking good questions and I haven't watched underneath to see if it is catching the loop or not.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
You are asking good questions and I haven't watched underneath to see if it is catching the loop or not.
Well if you have unbroken thread on top not is "Skipping" making a stitch that is all that can cause it is failure to catch the bobbin thread....
Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM

OK I have white thread on top and navy blue in the bobbin. When I look underneath, the white top thread is grabbed by the hook and goes around and over the bobbin-but not always. I see it go around when the stitch is formed but for the skipped stitches I don't see it so I am guessing that means the hook is not grabbing the thread.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Next suspect...still the tension piece. I am going to see if there is a burr in the take up spring
Old 06-03-2015, 04:14 PM

that is exactly what it means ... now we have to determine why.... there usually has to be some fabric there. it holds the thread down... while the needle goes up, that is what forms the loop ....some times a slick or thin fabric with an overly large needle and Fine thread can cause problems...
Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM

Ok thank you. I will change the fabric and needle and possibly the thread too and check again.