Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature quilt? >

Signature quilt?

Signature quilt?

Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 AM

Default Signature quilt?

I've read various posts about this type of quilt.

I've wondered why the quilt maker doesn't make a pile of completed signature squares and have the guests sign those. That way no one would write in the area that is meant to be a seam.

Please explain......

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:40 AM

I would want the guests to write on the squares first, that way if they mess it up they can just use another one. To complete the squares , they would be put together with sashing or what ever you want to make a quilt top.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Having people sign various blocks of a complete quilt would be difficult. What if somebody played a prank?? What if the quilt was a queen size top?? Can you see the difficulty with moving the sections around then be sure it won't move while someone signed it?? I found that I made the seam allowance larger and then placed 1/4" quilting masking tape around just inside the seam allowance. There is always someone who makes a mistake while signing.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:51 AM

Quilt blocks can be fragile, they get dirty warped, pulled out of shape or fray....And lets be honest if a simple direction of not writing all the way to the edge is not followed more complicated ones about handling the block and not writing on the colorful part of the block could spell disaster. Then there is the issue with the number of extra blocks needed for mistakes and do overs.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:23 AM

I don't know this, but could you sew a complete square (not the quilt), then back it with freezer paper and have those signed?

Yes, there would have to be extra squares made. I just wonder if this would be easier than hoping that people follow directions when signing.

I've never done this, it's just a thought I've had after reading so many times that people don't follow directions.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 AM

I think you are assuming that the part to sign would be in the center of a block, as in a nine patch. Some blocks would have the blank area extend to the edge of the block, as with a rail fence. This is where the problem comes in with people assuming the full area is usable when you actually need to use that 1/4 inch off each edge for seams.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Having the squares separate allows for errors and also to arrange them in a specific sequence. You can draw the seam line, but there's no way that you can be sure that some folks will just ignore it. In my paper business, I worked with an event planner who had some horror stories of guests signing a single item, usually someone who thinks inappropriate comments are funny.
A good way to work this is have someone who understands what needs to be done monitor the table where the activity will occur. Seems like there's always an auntie who wants to help with something, or maybe a couple teens who want to be included.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 AM

You could make a simple framed square or square in a square or a 9-patch with the center block/row larger for more writing area, then back the area where you want the writing with freezer paper, or use the manila folder method I posted in another thread. Then people would know that the writing should be in a very specific area. And, as PaperPrincess said, have someone monitoring the table where the blocks are. In fact, make sure she has a comfy chair and something delicious to drink. Someone who knows everyone and loves to visit is perfect for this, because she enjoys talking to everyone.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM

I made a T-shirt quilt for our Youth Pastor. I had solid squares for the kids to sign. At first, lots of kids signed right up to the edges, so I had to cut them out and applique them onto another square. After that, I added painters tape around the edges of each square, so no one would sign too close.