Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question Regarding Using Polyester Satin Applique >

Question Regarding Using Polyester Satin Applique

Question Regarding Using Polyester Satin Applique

Old 06-16-2015, 04:19 AM

Default Question Regarding Using Polyester Satin Applique

Hi Board Friends! I am going to make two Jelly Roll Race Quilts out of the "ocean" fabric line with applique dolphins using polyester satin and an applique mermaid using special "fish" fabric. One is for my 11-year old GD and one for my 9-year old GGD. Both love dolphins.

My question is - what to do with the polyester satin fabric appliques. I plan to pre wash the fabric first. I would like the dolphin fabric to look sleek (it is shiny). However, I realize that the "satin" will have to be quilted in some way in order to keep its shape during laundering. How should I quilt it and still keep it looking smooth and sleek? (Doesn't seem possible.) Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a Jelly Roll Race Quilt that I made in the past with applique. I want these to be similarly done only with dolphins, sea grass and a mermaid. (Lofty expectations, right?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522493[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails make-hannah.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015, 05:03 AM

Love your quilt!!! I think you can use satin for an applique if you find a washable satin. Some polyester satins are washable and can be fused on and stitched on like any other fabric.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Make sure that you either fuse it to a fusible interfacing, or use a fusible applique method. Check the info on the fusible to make sure the iron setting can be used with the synthetic.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I agree with PaperPrincess. Make sure your fabric you chose is the best that will endure being washed and will be able to be used on a quilt. Such a disappointment if the fabric fails on the quilt. I think if you found the correct shades of gray, the dolphins would still delight your GD and GDD. How about finding a printed dolphin on fabric??

https://www.google.com/search?q=dolp...ih=614#imgrc=_