Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG for GFG ??? >

QAYG for GFG ???

QAYG for GFG ???

Old 06-17-2015, 08:53 AM

Default QAYG for GFG ???

Has anyone done QAYG on a GFG quilt?
If you have I'd like to know how you did it.
I'm currently started on a GFG and since I intend to make it queen sized and don't want to attempt quilting something that large any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:09 AM

I don't know about QAYG but a bee friend made a GFG using her machine and a tiny zig zag stitch to attach the pieces together. I guess it could be done on top of batting and backing. I'll be curious to see what others chime in about QAYG.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 AM

It took me a while to figure out what GFG meant, but take a look at this. If you highlight, choose print, then selection, it prints out to two sheets of paper. http://www.lequilts.blogspot.com/201...lt-as-you.html
Just this week I came across Glenn's posts regarding Civil War Potholder Quilts. It is in the section on making quilts with vintage machines. I knew he had made a comfort quilt for Rodney using finished blocks from friends and admirers of Rodney. I kept wondering how he put it together. Google is my friend, and being an information junkie, I looked into Potholder quilts, finding a blog that suggested they be put together by butting edges and stitching with a feather stitch or something similar.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 AM

Interesting GFG....the overcast stitch....by machine or by hand....do one side, then flip and do the other side? Don't quite understand that part.....but good idea
Old 06-17-2015, 10:53 AM

I've done QAYG with square blocks or strips of squares, but not sure I want to do double the quantity of 1" hexes! Guess I could put a section of it together and then do it like a series of table runners connected to each other.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

You could make the standard GFG flower and then stitch it down to a square of fabric. Did EB do one in her Egg Money Quilts book? You might want to check it out.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

here is a tut by our member Eddie he calls hickory nuts... a QAYG for hexies... not exactly GFG though, although the back of the hickory nuts would be border free for GFG
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ks-t27345.html

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2015 at 03:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here is a tut by our member Eddie he calls hickory nuts... a QAYG for hexies [/url]
I haven't seen anything from Eddie in quite some time. Anyone know anything about him?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 AM

Hi everyone...I'm still pondering doing one of these quilts where you quilt-as-you go. I have lots of leftover batting and would really like to try using it on this type of quilt. Has anyone successfully made one of these into a quilt? I'm thinking lap size. I'm wondering how it lays with if you zig-zag the hexies together. Or, if you've made one, do you hand-sew the hexies together? I'm thinking of making these as donation quilts, but if I have to hand-sew, it might take me quite a bit longer to finish one. I would not mind, but just want to know if anyone has completed a quilt and how it lays, how sturdy it seems, etc. Any comments, suggestions or pictures would be appreciated. I really want to try it......just need a gentle nudge from someone who has done it!

Thanks!