Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise please...how to fix zig zag error >

Advise please...how to fix zig zag error

Advise please...how to fix zig zag error

Old 07-02-2015, 05:43 AM

Default Advise please...how to fix zig zag error

This is a table runner with the back turned forward as the binding. My zig zag stitching got messed up, I think the fabric got stuck (??) but whatever happened the stitches in this spot are too close together and it's pretty obvious on the final product.

I'd like to rip out this little bit and re-do it but I need advice. I'd have to tack the new zig zag bits at the beginning and the ending. Those tacked spots would again show on the final product right? I wonder if I should re-do that entire side of the runner?

Thanks!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524040[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_6375.jpg  
Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 AM

I think I would test a swatch of fabric, zig zag, the binding fabric, remove stitches, and stitch again to see about holes left in fabric. What can you live with? Oh the other hand did you answer the question yourself? Looks very nice stippling and fabric selections...............calla
Old 07-02-2015, 06:13 AM

Any holes could be steamed to see if that makes them less noticeable. You can lock the stitches by stitching in one place for a couple of times and then zigzag and do same at end of stitching.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

When I need to repair zig zag, I take out the bad spot and take out about 1-1/2 inches on each side leaving the thread tails. I then pull the threads to the same side, knot and using my easy thread needle, bury the threads. I then hand turn the machine to position the zig at the right spot and zig zag the error spot in. I then pull my thread ends to one side, knot and using my easy thread needle, again bury the ends. I can usually get a virtually invisible fix.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:20 AM

I would only take out the messed up ones. Find the end of the last stitch and put your needle down there. Then take a double stitch in place before starting and then fix the place that is wrong.At the end take two more double stitches in place. Now, you should be able to brush a little water on the holes that were left. They should close up on their own. But, no bigger than the place is, I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't solved it yet Calla!! I think there will be holes left, I'm using a fairly large needle. But I like bjgallent's idea of steaming the holes. I didn't know how to do that. I also like the hints by bjgallent and Tartan. I think using them both I can manage to redo the stitching and not have it show (at least not too much...)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I hate when that happens - going along as nice as can be - and then the stitches get wonky!

What you do will depend on how much the wonky stitches bother you. I have had a tough time lining up a "fill-in" - so I would probably take out the whole side and try again. I think the holes will fill up - unless you used a huge needle.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 AM

I fixed it to my satisfaction, thanks fellow sewists!! I've attached a new picture. I can still see the spot but I'm not a perfectionist and when it's laying on a table, it's barely noticeable. So I'm calling it a day!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524042[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_6376.jpg  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Yup, looks good to me!

Dina
Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Great save! Wonderful table runner!