Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for placemat pattern >

looking for placemat pattern

looking for placemat pattern

Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM

Default looking for placemat pattern

Someone at bee was finishing placemats but couldnt remember the pattern or name. Simple and can prob figure out myself but prefer a pattern lol. Was a crazy pattern where u stack number of fat quarters to equal number of placemats and make a cut near one end and move one piece to bottom and sew then cut again shuffle 2 and resew repeat til done. Found other patterns while searching bur not thus one. Hers were rounded on the corners and decorative stitched like a crazy quilt. Sorry for typos phone typing drives me nuts :-(
Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM

Sounds like a Bargello to me.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:47 PM

No more like a crazy 4 patch ir crazy quilt...not aa organized as bargello and bigger pieces. Like 2 rows with odd shaped pieces
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Take Four pattern?? You might want to search thru Google photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=plac...ih=614#imgrc=_
Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Sounds like a method I've seen on Fons & Porter. I'm not sure about placemat-specific instructions, but you can download general instructions for a baby quilt here: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...-quilt-project
Old 07-08-2015, 02:13 AM
Power Poster

I have this pattern . I just made placemats for the 4th with it. willing to share if you would like it.
It's basically moving the cut strips around so no two are alike.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM

it looks similar to the link you posted Abbieb..only she wanted 8 placemats so she used 8 fat quarters so hers was 2 rows of 4 pieces each...guess if I want the same look I'll need to make 8 which is double what I 'need' but I have 6 chairs if I ever expand the table and I also have another table with 4 chairs...the more I think about it the more wasteful this pattern I'm wanting seems but I just really liked it! maybe I could use the extras to do a table runner

zennia did you use the pattern Addieb linked or an actual placemat pattern? would love to see your placemats!! would be cool to do themes.I happen to have some fabric with tea names on it and had bought it in both the blue and brown colorways(would have preferred the different colors but shop didnt' have that colorway.sigh) so thought I'd buy other blues and browns to make a yellow brick road or some kind of simple scrappy fat quarter quilt..now I'm thinking placemats and possible apron and table topper!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM

That was demonstrated at one of our Guild meetings. No pattern required. It works like a Crazy 9 patch but fat quarter size. The person who demo'd it was just winging it. You stack the fat quarters, make two diagonal cuts, two horizontal cuts (not parallel) dividing the fat quarters into 6ths of uneven sizes. The cuts are not parallel to the sides or each other. The first stack remains the same, the second stack has the second fabric on the top and the first fabric on the bottom, the third stack has the third on the top and the second and first on the bottom. And so forth so no two pieces are the same. The pieces were sewn together an pillowcase finished. Sounds like the pattern you saw, they rounded the corners and used fun stitches.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 PM

thanks Toverly - she said they did one cut then sewed then cut again but this sounds like the same only done at once...this sounds like it'll work! 2 diagonal 2 horizontal...sounds simple enough. I know she use decorative stitches..she had fancy christmas looking fabric- grays/golds or something like that- very pretty fabrics I remember (and too fancy for my house LOL!)
Old 07-08-2015, 01:10 PM

I remember a Fons and Porter show that had a cut, sew, cut, sew pattern for a block. That ends up with the same result. In the one I saw, the only warning was not to disturb the stacks other than putting fabrics to the bottom. Either way would work fine.