Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting together a baby quilt? >

Putting together a baby quilt?

Putting together a baby quilt?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

Default Putting together a baby quilt?

Hi Everyone,

I am making a baby quilt to have ready for a November baby. I am piecing the top right now. I plan to choose a fabric for the back, and then I guess a light weight batting or flannel for inside. I have flannel and fleece that both could be used on the back to make it softer. If I use a fleece type fabric do I not use a batting or flannel in the middle? I need ideas and your input. I am not making a rag quilt, but a pretty little girls quilt for a gift to someone special. Also, what is a good size?

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2015, 04:15 AM

I've done it both ways, I prefer batting as I feel it makes the quilt softer and warmer, especially when using flannel as backing. I have a couch throw with fleece only, no batting, that I use in summer but I find I grab one with batting when it is cold. Really can't help with size but I try to make all my kids quilts large enough for a toddler, small child so they can use it several years.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:42 AM
bj

I don't know about the backing ?? But as far as size goes, I try to stay a little smaller than the backing fabric because I don't like to piece the backs. So they're usually about 40" wide. Most of the time I make square ones for new babies.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 AM

Here is a hint from someone who did it wrong. Do not be tempted to over-quilt it as it turns the quilt into wood. Hard as can be! I did it on a small section of baby quilt and realized what a mistake it would be for baby Allie. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 AM

l made a quilt for my grandd. with pieced front and a cushy fleece on back without batting. The quilt was machine quilted, and is perfect for easy wash/wear.Her room upstairs gets hot in summer. You're not in a very cold area of the country, so if you use flannel, a light batting is best. lf you're going to hand quilt it, flannel & batting is the way to go.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:24 AM

I usually make my baby quilts 45 x 60 with 1" poly batting because it makes them more cuddly than flannel or W&N. I use flannel or minky for the backing. My grandkids used theirs until they were thread bare.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Thank you all for some really good ideas and tips.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 PM

I would do flannel with cotton batting. It will wash well & not be too hot for the little one. Babies aren't supposed to sleep with covers anymore, so I find unless I add a sleeve, the first use other than for pics is at 4-6 weeks when they do tummy time. The flatter material, in my opinion, is easier for the babies to tolerate and push up from than a fleece. That said, of course they will love touching the fleece, so it all depends on how it will be used. But flannel is plenty cuddly enough and cotton quilts get softer and softer with each wash, even if it's quilted at 1" apart which is what I do (usually with all quilter's cotton, but I make changing pads with flannel and have done client quilts with a flannel back and 2" lines and those were also very soft after a couple washes).
Old 08-15-2015, 06:59 AM

I just did one and used w & n batting and minky for the backing it is so soft and cuddly
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 AM

I made a baby quilt with flannel front and back and warm and natural cotton batting. It turned out soft and cuddly. When I washed it it crinkled which I like the look of too.