Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why won't my Crescendo sew over thick seams?  How can I get it to work? >

Why won't my Crescendo sew over thick seams? How can I get it to work?

Why won't my Crescendo sew over thick seams? How can I get it to work?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Why won't my Crescendo sew over thick seams? How can I get it to work?

I am sewing together flying geese, point to point, so there is quite a bit of thickness for the machine to sew over. However, you spend top dollar for a high-end machine that is touted as being able to sew through 8 layers of denim (or something similar to this) and my Crescendo can not even sew over Moda regular cotton flying geese.

I have my presser foot pressure on 3 and my stitch is straight stitch at 1.4 length (I am doing it short as I am pressing the seam open and don't want to see the thread in the seam). My machine comes up to the seam and then gets lodged on the peak where the seams all meet and it will not budge unless I very forcefully pull or move around the block. In doing so, the seam line ends up very wonky and I end up having around 30 stitches in a 1/2 inch section. I've played around with the presser foot pressure and stitch length (although I need it to be short) and nothing has helped. The only thing that really works is raising the presser foot and forcefully pulling the block through.

Is there anything I should be trying to successfully sew these blocks together? I haven't tried the walking foot yet (I actually haven't even taken it out of the box and I've had the machine a year now!!). Is that what I need to do? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 AM

Try lengthening the stitch, you stitch sounds kind of small which can cause thread nest sometimes making it not go over seams easily. I usually use a 1.8 for piecing. I haven't had any issues going over thick seams with my dreamweaver or my low end SQ-9050. I don't see my thread at 1.8 when pressing. also use the leveling button on the jfoot to level the thicker seams. They do sell a 1/4 inch babylock foot with that same leveling button. You shouldn't need the walking or the muvit foot for piecing. The machine should be good with regular machines as the motor is very powerful by itself. the muvit foot does work awesome on thick layers but I don't consider piecing thick. You shouldn't need anything below a 1.8 stitch length unless paper piecing which I use a 1.6 and was able to go over thick star points with my babylock espire before I traded her in on my dreamweaver

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 08-15-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Bernina 1530 and have had no trouble sewing over flying geese. I certainly would sew thru 8 layers of denim. There is a item called Jean a ma Jig.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+needle+set.do
Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Bummer! I had a similar problem with quilting my table runner where about 8 seams met. It would sew up to the intersection fine but skip when sewing through. I just sewed my seam up to the intersection, took the sandwich out, turned it around and sewed up to the intersection again. Can you do something similar with your geese?
You might try changing to a super sharp needle to see if it helps
Old 08-15-2015, 10:02 AM

Try loosening your pressure foot pressure . . .every machine is different and your setting may be too much pressure. You shouldn't have to use a jeans jig to sew flying geese using quilting cotton.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Bummer! I had a similar problem with quilting my table runner where about 8 seams met. It would sew up to the intersection fine but skip when sewing through. I just sewed my seam up to the intersection, took the sandwich out, turned it around and sewed up to the intersection again. Can you do something similar with your geese?
You might try changing to a super sharp needle to see if it helps
Tartan, I did resort to this a few times. I have completed 10 of the point to point geese blocks and have 10 more to finish. I just don't understand why the machine struggles when all the advertising says it shouldn't.

Dolphyngyrl--I've tried large stitches (2.0) as well and it doesn't change the performance. I can see my thread in a seam that I used 2.0 for so I went smaller.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I have the Crescendo and she sews just fine over the seams. I use the standard 1/4" foot. I also believe that your stitch length is too small and once the needle gets caught, it doesn't have the oomph to make it over the hump. You may also need a new needle.

There is the standard foot with the little spring at the side which is meant to be used with bulky items. Try that. You will have to move the needle to the 1/4" spot though.

As for the muveit foot: I ended up buying the open toe foot for it as the regular foot is too bulky for me.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM

I am not familiar with that machine. I wonder about the size needle you are using. It sounds like you might need a larger needle and/or maybe a different type. Some needles have a longer and more slender shank that is intended to carry the thread deeper to catch the thread off the bobbin hook.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I really think it's your stitch length. You are asking a lot of your machine to sew that many layers with such a teeny tiny stitch. I wouldn't worry about the stitches showing, just don't SITD when you quilt.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:30 PM

If you still have trouble, there is a little item called a Humper that helps go over thick seams. It is just under $5.00 for two, I think, and can be found at most fabric stores. I often use it for other types of sewing when the material is very thick. Good luck.