Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EPP Hexagons What Size? >

EPP Hexagons What Size?

EPP Hexagons What Size?

Old 09-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Default EPP Hexagons What Size?

I did a Grandma's Flowergarden using 1" EPP Hexagons before (my avatar pic). Now, I'm considering starting another EPP project. I'm thinking of putting three hexagons of the same fabric together (kind of like a triangle) and then maybe have the colours change gradually over the quilt (not sure if I've expressed myself well enough for you to understand what I'm talking about?).

Now my question: Should I do 1" hexagons again or would it look better/more intricate with smaller hexagons, say ¾"? Apart from needing more hexies for the same size quilt, are they harder to handle when they are smaller? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:28 PM

My first was 1 inch and my second is 3/4 inch (on the side). I have found I prefer them slightly smaller. I bought a paper punch that helps a lot. I cut all the one inch out one by one. The second one I am doing in diamonds in reds and blues and my pathways will be white (patriotic hopefully). I am hoping to donate to a veteran.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I always prefer using the 1" hexagons. Started a table runner using the 3/4" size and they are just too small for my hands to handle.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Power Poster

I'm too new at this to give any advice. But I will watch to see how you get along with this.

I didn't know you do EPP Maniac. I just got hooked on EPP a few days ago. I'm not doing the small stuff much just yet. I did do a diamond star using 1 1/8" diamonds. but rt now I'm working with 1 1/2" til I get better at it.

Last edited by Rhonda; 09-22-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I'm too new at this to give any advice. But I will watch to see how you get along with this.

I didn't know you do EPP Maniac. I just got hooked on EPP a few days ago. I'm not doing the small stuff much just yet. I did do a diamond star using 1 1/8" diamonds. but rt now I'm working with 1 1/2" til I get better at it.
Yes, I id a GFG that took me over two years to make. I am currently trying to finish this table runner for a friend. I saw Lynnie using this pattern and I had to try it. It is great for a on the go project.
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden.jpg   grndma-flwr-grdn-corner.jpg   hex-table-runner.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 AM

@ManiacQuilter: I found it hard to describe what I'm having in mind and I have no picture, but your table runner is the exact pattern I'm talking about I'm thinking of making many different sets of three's first and then order them so that the colours will change gradually over the quilt.

At least that was what I had in mind when I started this post. Now I found something else online I find very intriguing:

http://temeculaquiltco.blogspot.ch/2...ttle-gems.html
http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/inkli...tric-quilt-02/

Kind like hexagons, but not exactly! So now I'm not sure for the moment what I'm going to do... I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks time and need something to take along, so I will have to make a decision before then!