Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flew home today >

Flew home today

Flew home today

Old 09-20-2015, 07:26 PM

Default Flew home today

No big deal, right? Except that I got a really good deal on a used Accuquilt Studio while visiting family in NJ and wanted to get it home the cheapest way possible.

My DH took it apart, put the pieces of the accuquilt in a carry on bag, some dies in another. We weren't able to bring all of it in the carry ons, but probably about 70% was packed. My sister will ship the rest to us later this week.

As we went through security, one of the carry ons was singled out for extra scrutiny.

Why? It's all plastic, rollers and the frame. Well, it seems the plastic rollers look like pipes and pipes could be bombs, and the pipes can also be used to beat someone!

That never entered our minds while we were packing it! I think the fact that I had padded it in fabric and a quilt top helped convince the airport security that it was ok for us to take it onto the plane.

After a thorough search of the bag, extensive swabbing for explosives, we were allowed us to go, and the bag came with us.

The dies, which have blades in them, were ignored. Go figure.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM

Pshhh! I thought for SURE the blades would be the reason. Good grief. But we quilters sure are a menacing bunch.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:40 AM

Well, glad you didn't end up having it confiscated. You'll love your Studio. If you lack a permanent place to set your Studio, the conversion kit that enables folding up the legs is a worthwhile purchase. I'm able to fold mine up and stick it under my cutting table when it's not in use.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-21-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: remove political statement
Old 09-21-2015, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I am just glad that my flying days were over before the year 2000.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:40 AM

Once when I was leaving a foreign country, the men grabbed a wood alligator from me and tried to keep it. It was really well made and I had paid only $1 for it and wanted to keep it. I fought them over it ! I had to walk about 1/2 a mile to find an official who came back and asked why they wouldn't let me have it and they said I could run up and down the aisles with it scaring passengers ! The official got mine and someone else's they had taken and she gave it to a some airline hostesses who put it in their bags. I came out of customs holding them high over my head to a chorus of cheers and clapping. I am glad you arrived home with your GO cutters and dies.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am just glad that my flying days were over before the year 2000.
Mine aren't totally over but I'm glad I only need to do it once or twice a year. If I had my druthers, I'd never set foot on an airplane again.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM

I got suck in US customs once over a pork sandwich. My Aunt had made me a sandwich with last night's dinner leftovers and mayo (that's what is done in Denmark). I didn't finish it all and had forgot about it in my bag. When I landed in New York, I realized that there was a lot of worry about Hoof and Mouth disease.

They wouldn't let me throw the sandwich out in customs, but they refused to allow me to enter the states with it on me. I was refusing to eat it because it had mayo that was shiny from not having been refridgerated and I was scared of food poisoning in the states where I had no medical coverage.

I was several hours arguing with them and my parents who had driven from Canada to pick me up had no information about what was happening. My Mom was FREAKING out. I was finally allowed to leave with the instructions that I had to hold on to the sandwich until I got to Canada and dispose of it there. The whole thing was pretty funny since there were no reported cases of Hoof and Mouth disease in Denmark at the time and it was definitely Danish meat.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:35 PM

I am so glad you were able to get through without too much difficulty. They confiscated a pair of my embroidery scissors because the blade was too narrow. Go figure. Actually, I appreciate the efficiency that they are displaying in order to keep us all safer, so I try to smile and not throw things.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:11 PM

I (not thinking) packed a 8 oz. bottle of Biore facial astringent in my carry on, it was confiscated, I was so caught off guard it put huge tears in my eyes when I told the TSA lady- I would never hurt my country or anyone in it. It truly pained me just the implied suggestion that I would use my facial products to cause harm.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Great stories everyone! I bet the TSA have some "doozies" too!