Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone own a Mega Quilter? >

Does anyone own a Mega Quilter?

Does anyone own a Mega Quilter?

Old 10-20-2015, 06:22 AM

Default Does anyone own a Mega Quilter?

My husband bought me a Mega Quilter and Next Generation frame with a cruise control at a auction for $145. Didn't think I would ever own anything like this so don't know alot about it.Set it up and works...I think problems like eye lashes are probably my fault. I have checked acouple of groups on yahoo but they don't have much activity. I think this is the BEST group to go to for answers. Hope you can help. Can I use universal needles like I use in my Janome6600 and I changed from the polythread she had on the machine to a Coats and Clark cotton..will that be alright? It is lots of fun trying even if I won't have ribbon winning quilts! Dee
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

YOu should be able to find a manual on line. That will tell you which needles you need. There were several versions of Mega Quilters, some were 9" and some were 18". The 18" needs a different needle.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:39 AM

I have the Viking Mega Quilter and frame. It also has the cruise control. It is OK for quilts that are about queen to regular size. Remember as you quilt the space gets smaller and smaller. I use Superior thread and the HLx5 needles. It loves OIL so OIL and clean the bobbin area. I oil every 8 hours, and clean the bobbin area each time I change the bobbin. I usually use 6-7 bobbin per quilt.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM

My 1st quilt machine was the beloved MegaQuilter on a Grace Pro frame 10'. Loved that machine as I don't recall ever having to adjust the tension on it. I'm surprised you're having issues with tension so maybe the previous owner knocked it out of sync and it needs to be re-timed. Never had to do that either so can't help you. I've moved on to a larger system but still have fond memories with the MegaQuilter. I added a robotic system called PCQ to mine but moved over to a retrofitted MQR when the PCQ caused too many problems. Still have the puck if you ever go that route. Being its only an9" throat, left few options of quilting large designs. But for the price you can't beat it. Think I also removed the feeddogs too. Might take it off the frame and see how it sews on a regular table. Might have better luck that way.