Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper for paper piecing found! >

Paper for paper piecing found!

Paper for paper piecing found!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:41 AM

Default Paper for paper piecing found!

My husband and I went to the local Sherwin-Williams store because we are going to paint. We had to wait a bit while they mixed up the color and I found something that I could use in my quilting -

It's called general purpose masking paper, is a thin paper, just a tad bit lighter in weight than newsprint, and it was on sale. It's a plain tan color, I suspect it's the way any paper starts. The way it's used in the painting world doesn't justify doing anything to the color.

There were many different sizes and at the time, I was thinking I could draw whatever I wanted on it and use it for paper piecing

When I got home, it hit me, this is a size I could run through the printer and print off many copies if I wanted!
The particular size I bought is 12" by 60 yds, so I'll just have to use an old rotary cutter blade and slice off 8 1/2" pieces
The regular price was somewhere between 3 and 4 dollars, but on sale it was 2 something.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a bargain. I use to get the free rim of paper when the office supplies stores use to give them free with purchase. Cheap paper works well for me. I print out most of my PP patterns using EQ7.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:50 AM

As I'm always cutting printer paper into scribble paper if it has one good side left. Can't see throwing it away. I keep all my cut paper in a plastic tote so when I run out of scribble paper I just go grab some from the tote under the cutting table. I print out my templates for quilting so there's always a lot of selvage leftover once I trim the template to size. When I'm taking down notes while online for quilt patterns or instructions while watching videos, I use these scratch papers to write on. I'm also constantly doodling numbers when setting up my quilting layouts as I need to remember the Y and X axis numbers.

Its great how us quilters can find uses for things designed for other purposes.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I have used all types of paper and lightweight translucent vellum is my favorite and all I use now. It is printer ready size and tears away easy, no little bits. I decided to use what I like the best and vellum is it.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 AM

I to have gotten my paper there. I have bought my paper from Amazon. I have a question. Where do you find your patterns at?? I only have two patterns and am tried of them. I have goggled and still can't find.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 AM

Just this morning there was an advert for free patterns on this site. I would suggest going to your library to look at patterns until you find some you like. There are many sites here that have free downloads.
Good luck in your search.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I like this idea. Right now I use the kids tablet of paper from the dollar store. It's like newsprint with lines to teach kids to print. It removes nicely and runs through the printer.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM

For MaryMay--
If you signed up for the month of access to Craftsy, there is a Carol Doak class that has class materials of one of her books. You can download that and keep it after the month. I have purchased several Carol Doak books that are used and in excellent condition, with the CD included, through Amazon.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by marymay View Post
I to have gotten my paper there. I have bought my paper from Amazon. I have a question. Where do you find your patterns at?? I only have two patterns and am tried of them. I have goggled and still can't find.
Mary, there are a lot of paper piecing sites you can go to for free patterns that you can send right to your printer. Carol Doak's site has several to download, the library suggestion is also a good place, if you find something you really like you can always buy the book later

These are some of my favorite sites online:
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Blank...latesPage.html
http://piecebynumber.com/
http://www.paperpanache.com/index.htm
http://www.fandominstitches.com/
Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Suz

A quilting instructor used table paper (20 of so inches wide) used at the doctor's office. You can purchase same at a medical supply store. It is strong and can be folded and refolded in order to duplicate her design. It also erases nicely. She used a long length to design her borders and folded it into segments for precise spacing. My son, a chiropractor, uses narrower paper as face paper on his adjusting tables. (In this case, the price for the remanent roll was right.)