Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Embroidery Stabilizer >

Cutting Embroidery Stabilizer

Cutting Embroidery Stabilizer

Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Default Cutting Embroidery Stabilizer

I got back 2 jobs from the embroiderer today & the stabilizer was not trimmed at all. It is bigger than the piece to which it's attached in one case. Other than being careful not to cut the fabric/stitching, is there anything I need to know (do I need to leave an allowance of stabilizer around stitching, do cuts need to be straight instead of curved, etc)? Also, in case it makes a difference, she used 2 layers of a light weight stabilizer & they are not fused together.

Thanks for any tips! My old embroidered always cut it for me, but his business is struggling & he has become really, really rude to customers. I just don't know what to do.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM

I would trim 1/4-1/8 inch away, making each layer slightly different (aka grading the stabilizer). Don't go crazy about it though. You don't need to cut between blocks of stitching unless they are widely separated. I do lots and lots of embroidery on everything from onesies to heavy bags, and that is the method I do. Note that scissors with curved blades make this much easier!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 AM

I use a special pair of scissors that helps you get close to the stitching without possibly cutting into the threads. I'd think cutting as close as possible would be the thing to do but I could be wrong on that note too. Check to see if the stabilizer is tear away or cut away too.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 AM

Thank you! It's cut away stabilizer. The embroiderer told me that & it seems to be true (I've used tear away before -- looks/feels very different).
Old 10-20-2015, 10:04 AM

I would certainly trim it away as all that extra stabilizer as suggested above as it will add weight and may cause problems when you quilt on top of it. When I use two layers of cutaway I cut one layer slightly smaller than the other to soften the edge so it doesn't make a hard line. I trim around the curves and all.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I use my old duck bill Gingher scissor to clip away threads with my applique. LOVE them. They are my favorite Gingher and I have 6 different kind.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 10-21-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a pair of shears that have a half moon end on one blade. It's for getting close up and not cutting more than what is desired. Also have the duckbill and use those often.