Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with this project... >

Need help with this project...

Need help with this project...

Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 AM

Default Need help with this project...

I am working on a memorial t- shirt quilt for a friend. The front is all done and I used interfacing to stabilize the shirts. Looks great!

The back however will be mostly photos which the friend copied to a photo-fabric product. Do these need to be stabilized with interfacing too or can I just sew them together?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Just hope that the ink won't wash off. Most posts here that I have read is that a lot of the ink from personal computers do not last long with washing. I don't think you need to back the photos but you should check on what you should do to insure that the ink won't fade.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I agree that unless the fabric used for the photos is very thin, you don't need to use stabilizer. Ditto on checking how to set the photos. Often, but not always, you need to iron.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

The photo fabric products that I've used were very substantial, not needing interfacing at all, and didn't require any attention other than immersing in cool water after printing. However it is important to find out what method your friend used for the photos, and whether they require any special attention before you sew them into the quilt. Even then, it might be a good idea to wash one of the photos, just to see how it keeps its color. It would be a shame to put them all into the quilt only to find out that the color doesn't last.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Gay

I usually allow 12 hours after printing then press with the iron on cotton for 30secs, back first then front, with a clean fabric on the front just in case some colour comes off ir the iron is too hot. And yes, wash first to test the colour.