Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 324 needle position problem >

Singer 324 needle position problem

Singer 324 needle position problem

Old 11-22-2015, 03:36 AM

Default Singer 324 needle position problem

Hallo again, everybody was so kind in offering advice last time that I thought I would try and impose further on your good natures and see if anyone can point me in the right direction here:

I am trying to get my young daughter's (eBay won) Singer 324 in a workable condition for her (she wants to begin her first quilting project and is very excited, fabric cut, pinned and marked, ready to go!), BUT the needle on this little machine seems determinedly in the left position, which makes being able to follow any line well nigh impossible (we are trying to sew HSTs, so can't use the edge of the fabric with a marker), particularly for a young beginner. All I can find on Google are a couple of queries from people with the same problem, but but answers. The manual does not seem to make any mention of being able to change the needle position. The machine will do all the stitches, but only seems 'centred' when doing the largest zig zag...

Please help me, I am tearing my hair out!
Old 11-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Does it have a dial or a lever setting to move the needle into anything but a left setting? Can you shoot a close up of the machine's front so we can see the controls? If it does have a control for the needle bar setting it is not the knob that is stuck - it is some tiny piece of gummed up oil stuck in some remote place so it would need some TLC with a can of oil, patience and time.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 AM

There does not seem to be anything giving any indication that the needle position may be varied at all - but the needle when doing straight stitch comes down very left of the centre of the foot at the moment.

I have tried to attach a picture, I hope it helps my explanation of my problem... [ATTACH=CONFIG]536294[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-324.jpg  
Old 11-22-2015, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

There is no center position so there is no way you can make the needle fo down the middle. You can buy a left straight stitch foot bit woe to who ever try's to zz with that foot.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 AM

Miriam, thank you very much for your help! I was beginning to suspect this might be the case - my husband has just pointed out that the markings on the plate indicate the needle is where is 'should' be - but I can't understand why Singer ever thought it was a good idea, it makes the machine very much less useable
Old 11-22-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

They might have saved 39 cents when they made the machines. Lots of left homing machines out there.