Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
new to me binding >

new to me binding

new to me binding

Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 AM

Default new to me binding

I'm going to try this. I think you could use a decorative stitch that matched part of the quilt?

http://modernquiltrelish.blogspot.co...ing%20tutorial
Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I had never heard of using a baggie to keep your binding in place. I usually only you a decorative stitch if I have sewn the binding to the back and stitching the binding down on the front side.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

This is how I do it. My walking foot has a foot plate with a guide. I just put the guide in the ditch and go. Make sure your foot will allow proper needle movement before you try a decorative stitch.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing
Old 01-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Like the baggie idea. Make some scrap binding for scrap quilts and keep stored in baggies just close it so far so it gets some airflow.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 PM

Have used the baggie idea for a long time. Helps to keep it clean, and helps control the binding as you sew it on the quilt.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
Have used the baggie idea for a long time. Helps to keep it clean, and helps control the binding as you sew it on the quilt.
I have also used the bag trick for several years. Instead of rolling the binding I fan fold mine so it doesn't roll around so much when using it.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:28 AM

What a swell idea... thank you for sharing. I usually wrap mine around a toilet paper roll but I will try this on my upcoming crib quilt. I also really liked the Flatbread pattern shown in the link. I may have to purchase it.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:13 AM

I have a much easier way to join binding ends than Marci Baker. I fold over the beginning of the binding into a triangle: the "Magic Triangle". I start sewing with 6 to 8 inches of the binding free. You can pin that tail in place so it is where you want it when you need it. Also put a pin or two where you want to stop the sewing, about 6 to 8 inches from the tip of that triangle. When I come around to the end, I stop sewing at the pin and pin the binding down where it needs to be. Lay the two pieces of binding ends over each other. Find the base of the triangle and cut the end off there. Now your binding overlaps only as much as your binding is wide, no matter how wide it is. Sew these two ends together in the same manner you sewed all the other seams in the binding. Right sides together and twist to the plus sign, but keep all edges even, nothing sticking out. Be sure the fold line goes across, not into the corner and tip. Sew on the fold of the triangle, and you have your binding ends sewn perfectly! Press the seam open and trim.

Do this a time or two, and you will never sew your binding together any other way.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Sometimes when I need a change of scenery while making a project, I'll make the binding to break up the monotony. When done, I do roll it up and store it in a baggy. Doesn't get dusty and it's ready when I'm ready for it.