Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt this??? >

How to quilt this???

How to quilt this???

Old 02-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Default How to quilt this???

I have my quilt pinned and ready to FMQ, as I am not real good with this part I played around on a piece of paper to find a easy design that I could do, one is loops with a star here and there and another is the same loops with a heart here and there. I think I can do both of these designs without to many mistakes.
I would love to be able to do some of the quilting that I have seen on this forum but I don't think I can pull that off at this time.
I can do a all over FMQ design without to much trouble, so do you think that this quilt will look ok with one of the these all over quilting designs?

Thanks so much..
Attached Thumbnails img_1312.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Not sure if you are quilting on a LA or a DSM. Would help to know that.

Yes, I think what you suggested would be fine. Honestly, though, I'd probably try to quilt feathers inside the stars & then ghost the stars in the 4-patch blocks. Yes, it would take more time & wouldn't be as "perfect", but I've found that the more complex the design, the less likely people are to notice any little inconsistencies. And I've personally found that doing the loops & stars pattern really isn't much easier than doing a basic feather because of all the start & stops for the points of the stars.

The other option would be to just quilt "stripes" inside the stars to tie in with the striped fabrics you used. You could do that FMQ or with a walking foot. Regardless, it's an adorable quilt & will look beautiful no matter what!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Love your quilt!! Whatever works for you and you'r comfortable doing. Your thoughts sound good.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Yes it would look good with all over design
Old 02-02-2016, 02:46 PM

even just loops would look good, some big some small
Old 02-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I would sew curves on the inside of the stars from corner to corner. Then I would find a stencil that would fit inside the large four squares. This is a very pretty quilt. I look at what others have done to their and do what you can.
http://lrdesignsquilting.com/blog/archives/6195
Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Not sure if you are quilting on a LA or a DSM. Would help to know that.

Yes, I think what you suggested would be fine. Honestly, though, I'd probably try to quilt feathers inside the stars & then ghost the stars in the 4-patch blocks. Yes, it would take more time & wouldn't be as "perfect", but I've found that the more complex the design, the less likely people are to notice any little inconsistencies. And I've personally found that doing the loops & stars pattern really isn't much easier than doing a basic feather because of all the start & stops for the points of the stars.

The other option would be to just quilt "stripes" inside the stars to tie in with the striped fabrics you used. You could do that FMQ or with a walking foot. Regardless, it's an adorable quilt & will look beautiful no matter what!
I will be quilting this on my DSM but it does have an 11 inch throat space so that helps... I am really not good with feathers I have tried to do them on a sample piece of fabric but they just don't come out looking like a feather, I really need to practice more before I try them on a quilt. For some reason I can't get my mind around then , when I try making then they come out looking bad.. I can see where feathers would look so good in each part of the star but I think it will have to wait till some other time and quilt..So I am back to a all over design..Thanks for you advice..I'll practice more..
Old 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would sew curves on the inside of the stars from corner to corner. Then I would find a stencil that would fit inside the large four squares. This is a very pretty quilt. I look at what others have done to their and do what you can.
http://lrdesignsquilting.com/blog/archives/6195

Wow! ManiacQuilter2 that quilt was so pretty but I really don't think I could do that, it's got a design like feathers and as I said I don't think I can quilt feathers, they never look like a feather by the time I get done..maybe I'll try. I just hate to have to rip out stitches..after thinking a little,I could outline the star, I think I could do that.... Thanks
Old 02-02-2016, 04:15 PM

I just recently finished a Hunters Star. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t275055.html. I did an allover meander and did a flower loop in each of the star "petals". Went very quick and easy.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:15 PM

Wow, what a beautiful quilt. What ever you do you can not take away from this lovely quilt. Good Luck!