Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flashback to '80's? >

Flashback to '80's?

Flashback to '80's?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Default Flashback to '80's?

Digging through my scrap drawer for my scrappy quilt I happened upon this old friend. I am going to cut it all up for neutrals in my Twist [ATTACH=CONFIG]541946[/ATTACH] nd Shout scrappy but I will use the wrong side for a more subtle look. I want a good contrast with my darks to keep the pattern clear. I am guessing 1980's, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I started quilting in the early 90's and I definitely had that one in my stash. It was from JoAnnes. I know because I was several years into my quilting journey before I even knew such thing as a quilt shop existed! LOL So all of my early purchases were from JoAnnes. Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if that particular print is still around so it very well could date from the 80s but I got mine in the early 90s.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Hey ya. I used that well before I started quilting. Like seeing an old friend😊
Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

So what is the consensus, A (wrong side) or B ( right side) . I tried it do the blocks identical but of course when working with scraps, you run out of certain prints.[ATTACH=CONFIG]541952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 02-05-2016, 11:13 AM
KLO

I don't think it will matter in the end with all those scraps involved. No one will even notice. That being said, I like A better but that fabric right side looks closer to sort of "matching" the piece two places below it in B .... assuming the photo is fairly true to the fabric colors. Again in the long run, it probablly won't matter.

Do you cut those fabric bars on an angle just the way they look in the block and carefully sew them together or do you have another method of piecing these blocks? I do love the look of your blocks!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I cut 5 dark 2X5 inch rectangles and 5 light 2X5 inch rectangles. I lay the light wrong side down on the dark in a upside down L shape like you join binding, draw the 45* line, stitch on the line, check to make sure it is a perfect join and then trim away the corner triangle to the 1/4 inch seam.
I thought the stripes would bother me but B is growing on me.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Digging through my scrap drawer for my scrappy quilt I happened upon this old friend. I am going to cut it all up for neutrals in my Twist [ATTACH=CONFIG]541946[/ATTACH] nd Shout scrappy but I will use the wrong side for a more subtle look. I want a good contrast with my darks to keep the pattern clear. I am guessing 1980's, what do you think?
Late 80's early 90's my mom made my daughter the most darling pair of overall out of this fabric she was born in 90 and she was not walking yet. also I like the right side just a little better.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM

Either way is good but I like the right side better. Still getting used the concept that I bought both sides of the fabric, lol. I'm working on it.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:04 PM

I like the wrong side better. It makes a slightly better contrast to your darks...but either would look good. Maybe you want to use both sides?

Dina
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM

I like right side better, a little "crisper" look, but actually on my PC screen there is very little difference. I like your blocks.