Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension >

Tension

Tension

Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Default Tension

I am Losing My Mind due to tension issues with my machine. I have a baby lock quilters choice. It is about 10 years old. I have changed the needle, changed the type of needle, changed the thread and type of thread, use different fabrics, sewn through 2 pieces of fabric and through a quilt sandwich (fabric and batting (using 1/4 inch foot and walking foot as appropriate), always use same thread in bobbin and machine, retread machine and I even screamed at the machine. I keep getting very loose on the back or a nest or thread breaks. I increased tension on the electronic part of the machine and that helps sometimes briefly but is Not the solution.

I am am out of ideas. The only thing I am holding off doing and maybe should is taking a screwdriver to the bobbin case. I was told that is a last resort or not to do it.

can anyone help me? I am so frustrated!!! Thanks. Jocelyn.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-27-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 PM

When I had a similar problem with my machine I finally took it in to the dealer for repair. My machine had never had tension problems which was one of the things I love about it, so when it started acting like that I was very upset. Of course, this happened right before I had a class coming up and really needed my machine. The shop called me back the next day to pick up my machine and they only had to do a thorough cleaning. Yea! I do clean my machine ever time I change the bobbin but it had gotten lint in areas that I couldn't reach, apparently. That was last summer and knock on wood, no more tension problems. Good luck to you, I know how frustrating that is.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:30 PM

I agree with Sue. Clean it Well. I like a paint brush and a pipe cleaner to get as much lint as I can find. Floss out your tension disks. Don't forget your bobbin case. If it has a little arm that the screw holds on? Run a thin needle/pin under there. It gets linty too and can affect your tension. Hope you solve your tension probs! I had trouble with my long arm for over a yr. Finally it just went away. Maybe I was holding my tongue out just right....

Also try a diff bobbin. Sometimes they get out of round and don't spin well.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Usually when the tension issue is on the bottom, it means a problem with the top tension--in the case of too loose/nests of thread, it usually means the top threading is wrong, the take-up tension spring may need flossing (with non-waxed dental thread), etc. But I have to say that when I was having a heap of similar problems with my Singer travel machine, it turned out to be a bent bobbin take-up arm. since it was a drop in bobbin, it required a repair trip.

Recently, mentoring some high school kids, one of the machines was having similar issues and when I checked the bobbin, it seemed to basically lacked any tension pulling the thread from the case so I tightened the case screw and that solved the problem. I know we are trained not to mess with the bobbin tension screw, but you might try that.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:28 PM

The bobbin case and upper tensions are adjustable for a reason. That is so you can take control of your tension when sewing on many different fabrics and applications. The bobbin tension will naturally loosen with the vibration of the machine. It's up to you to tighten it yourself or pay a tech mega bucks to do it for you. If it's nesting on the bottom, it's usually the top tension that has an issue. Unless.... there's a burr on your hook, or your bobbin is bent or damaged, or the timing is off. If the upper tension isn't tightening, there could be lint in between the disks. Good Luck! I hope you can get your machine sewing.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:13 AM

It it's ten years old, it also could be that some of the springs need replaced. Try replacing the bobbin case, too. If it has fallen on a hard floor, sometimes it's slightly bent and not easily seen. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:54 AM

Check your Take Up Lever to see that your thread is in or staying in your take up lever. Also floss your top tension disk...lint in there can cause this problem.Best wishes for a quick fix

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2016 at 05:02 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 03-07-2016, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I would take it in for servicing. Be sure to take samples of the problem you are having.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I am Losing My Mind due to tension issues with my machine. I have a baby lock quilters choice. It is about 10 years old. I have changed the needle, changed the type of needle, changed the thread and type of thread, use different fabrics, sewn through 2 pieces of fabric and through a quilt sandwich (fabric and batting (using 1/4 inch foot and walking foot as appropriate), always use same thread in bobbin and machine, retread machine and I even screamed at the machine. I keep getting very loose on the back or a nest or thread breaks. I increased tension on the electronic part of the machine and that helps sometimes briefly but is Not the solution.

I am am out of ideas. The only thing I am holding off doing and maybe should is taking a screwdriver to the bobbin case. I was told that is a last resort or not to do it.

can anyone help me? I am so frustrated!!! Thanks. Jocelyn.
I had some tension issues a month or so on on a Janome. I didn't want to mess around with the bobbin tension either. I took it to the dealer for a maintenance/service. It works fine now. He very may well have adjusted the bobbin case, but it was worth it to me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-27-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Unscrew the bobbin case area and clean it out very well. This is the area that the bobbin case sits in. It is possible that it is full of lint. I had to do this with my Janome about a month ago, for the same reasons you describe, and my machine is perfect now. I was amazed how much lint was in it. There is a screw driver supplied with your sewing machine that is meant for this.