Old Singer Ruffler attachment

Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 AM

Default Old Singer Ruffler attachment

I found an "old" ruffler attachment in my grandmother's treadle machine cabinet and was wondering if it might fit on either my Janome 3150 or Janome 6600. It looks to be a low shank. Thought maybe some of you might know. Guess I will have to go get those machines out and try it. I have a 15000 and bought a ruffler attachment for it, but I don't want to haul that "beast" to class if I don't have to. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Only way to know is to put it on and see if it fits. It's not just the foot, but the part that hooks onto the needle clamp screw.

The super old rufflers were made for machines with a different type of needle clamp screw than many modern machines have (way smaller) so they are not wide enough to fit over it. Some machines were different enough that they needed a specific ruffler - sometimes that arm needed to be longer or shorter so it did not unhook when the needle was all the way up, or jam when the needle was all the way down. Some had to be bent as the needle and foot were off center from each other.

Knowing what machine your grandmother had would help. Only a very few (including Singer) were side clamp feet like modern machines are, and if hers was a top or bar clamp style (White, New Home, Free, Standard, Domestic, National, Davis (and many others) including all the badged names these companies used - it will only fit that type of machine.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

It's a Singer machine, but forgot which one. I'll see if I can find picture. Anyway, you are right that I just need to try it.
Sorry, not a very good picture.
Attached Thumbnails cid_000e01caaf42%242a52c410%24d352b7b6%40maxanddarlene.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM

looks like a nice Model 27. Being it's a Singer ruffler, your chances are better. Since the 27 is an older model, it's harder to know. Singer made significant changes to the ruffler during the time the 27 was in production. By about 1920 the ruffler style was about where it is today. it's also very possible that your grandmother got an updated ruffler for her machine at some time as they had more options and worked better.

I think I have around 15 different styles of Singer rufflers.

These are the four that were used in the Puzzle Boxes.

The ruffler sitting on top of this case is from about 1940 - and very similar to what modern ones look like.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-12-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: pics hosted offsite are not permitted
Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

I am quite sure the answer is "no". I have a drawer full of Singer attachments and they fit my vintage Singer machines and not my newer machines. There is always something that does not fit-like the device that fits on the mounting rod. There is all of interchangeable parts in older new machines but not newer ones.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Nope, didn't work on the 3150. Guess I will just have to struggle with the big 'en. Thanks for responses.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:36 PM

My mother's treadle was gifted to her in 1945 when she and daddy married, by an older cousin to my grandmother. By the patent on the metal head, it was cast in late 1800's. It is a New England Queen, and in the metal box of attachments is also a Singer ruffler. Now you have me curious to go pull it out and compare to the pictures posted here. Mother made all of my clothes from baby to high school on that machine, and I had as a child many ruffle, girlie girl dresses!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Don't go by the patent date, all that means is it was made AFTER that date, and sometimes way after. Willcox & Gibbs was still putting the 18XX patent date on machines up until they stopped making them in the 1940's.

If it is a New England Queen that old, it would most likely take an attachment type other than what would fit a Singer. However, one could easily take the shirr plate of a Singer ruffler and put it on a Greist ruffler, and that is the only part that has the brand name on it. I think all the rufflers were made be Griest at some point in time (he started out making attachments for Singer, then went off on his own).

I believe that "name" was used by more than one company, so it would be really neat to see a picture of it.

Here is mine - it's made by National, but was intentionally made to look like a New Home machine.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-12-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: pics hosted offsite are not permitted
Old 06-12-2020, 10:57 AM

Question Puzzle box rufflers

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
looks like a nice Model 27. Being it's a Singer ruffler, your chances are better. Since the 27 is an older model, it's harder to know. Singer made significant changes to the ruffler during the time the 27 was in production. By about 1920 the ruffler style was about where it is today. it's also very possible that your grandmother got an updated ruffler for her machine at some time as they had more options and worked better.

I think I have around 15 different styles of Singer rufflers.

These are the four that were used in the Puzzle Boxes.

The ruffler sitting on top of this case is from about 1940 - and very similar to what modern ones look like.
Hi Macybaby.

t's a long time ago now that you posted the above, but I hope you still have them around. I was hoping you know what the part number is for each of the four rufflers, and perhaps which style boxes they made a showing in.

I have one ruffler like the bottom-most one in the set of four but when I try to place it in the box it doesn't really want to go under the holder - and I can't figure out what shirring plate it would have had or how that would fit with it in the style box. I don't want to force and bend any part of the ruffler as I put it in, or dig into the wood of the case. I've looked at lots of pictures online but found none that show everything clearly enough. I'm wondering if the holding clip is actually installed in the wooden case just a smidge too close to the end and that is what's making the ruffler bang or scrape into the wood.

Any further information or pics you have that would help me both kit out and set up my style box properly would be wonderful - thank you! Megan in New Zealand

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-12-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to say hello to them by name, used "to" instead of "too."