Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with circles >

Need help with circles

Need help with circles

Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Default Need help with circles

As you can see I need help, this is the 2nd time I have tried to incorporate circles in my design. Any ideas ? This is the quilt, I am tired of just squares, wanted circles to break it up.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Are you appliquing on top or inserting them with piecing?

When I applique a circle, I face it....I sew two circles together, leaving a small opening, and turn them right side out, then applique down. IF they are too heavy/stiff I snip a little hole on the wrong side and trim away some of the facing, even up to 1/4" from the edge if I have to. I still have a firmer round edge to applique down and that seems to help maintain the integrity of the roundness.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 04-10-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM

That makes sense. Keeps the round right ?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Are you using a stabilizer when attaching the circles? You can use paper then tear it off after you sew. I use paper when I don't have any stabilizer around. Double it if the material is still puckering. Hope that helps!!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 PM

I applique them down too, just like Jan. I don't make them too often. I have also used the raw edge method and fused them.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM

When I do circles I piece them in. Using a marking pen,I draw a circle on the backing AND on my material the same size. I cut out the top material piece 1/4" bigger. I score the line and press it into the finished circle. On the backing. I cut it out a 1/4"smaller. Using glue stick. I tack the pressed circle over the "hole" using the line as a guide. Then I flip it to the back side and stitch on the pressed line. Try it! Perfect set in circles.
These are the only pictures I have to illustrate this. The first is the material that becomes the circle and the second photo shows the perfect circle sewn in. The circle is about 4 " dia.
Attached Thumbnails img_4287.jpg   img_4293.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Get a nice curve shape by using interfacing, sew it on the right side of fabric, cut a slit in the interfacing and turn it right side out. I always pink my circle edges at 1/4 inch seam allowance before turning so I get a smooth shape. I have also used a used dryer sheet in place of interfacing.
After the circle is turned and the edges are pushed out with a curved instrument ( I use a wooden spoon) I press with the iron. I like to use a machine buttonhole stitch to stitch it to the background. I starch my background fabric so it has more body or you can sew it with a stabilizer behind the background fabric to prevent puckers. I have used a paper coffee filter for a stabilizer in a pinch and carefully tear it away after.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I applique them down too, just like Jan. I don't make them too often. I have also used the raw edge method and fused them.

I use use either fusible or non fusible non- woven interfacing ( lite) for appliqué. Sewed rifpght sides together, slit and turned out, then either fused onto background or not and then machine appliquéd down....no need for stabilizer.........

iif you don't want to invest in interfacing, do your circle out of cereal box cardboard, or something in similar weight, draw circle on backside of fabric, cut out giving yourself 1/4" seam allowance, do a loose hand stitch around, place cardboard back in, pull thread to tighten, iron down, remove cardboard and basting thread, give a good steam iron and appliqué down......just some ideas.....
Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Are you appliquing on top or inserting them with piecing?

When I applique a circle, I face it....I sew two circles together, leaving a small opening, and turn them right side out, then applique down. IF they are too heavy/stiff I snip a little hole on the wrong side and trim away some of the facing, even up to 1/4" from the edge if I have to. I still have a firmer round edge to applique down and that seems to help maintain the integrity of the roundness.

Jan in VA
I do the same thing, and it really makes the circle look nice.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:03 PM

I don't use interfacing. I just needle turn mine.
I use a compass (or computer) to make the circle the size I want. Then, I cut it out of a cereal box. I trace it onto the wrong size of my fabric & then add 1/4-1/2" before cutting (seam allowance doesn't have to be exact -- 1/4" is good for hand applique; I'd use closer to 1/2" for machine applique). I hand stitch a running stitch halfway between the cut edge & the drawn line. Next, I set the template back onto the wrong side of the fabric & pull the thread so it closes around the template shape. I spray some starch/sizing into a small cup (or the lid) and use a Q-tip to paint it onto the gathered edge of the circle, making sure to smooth out any ripples along the turned edge. I press the painted, gathered edge until it dries. I gently loosen the fabric a bit to be able to remove my template. Then, I pull the thread so it gathers back up again & give it one last press back and front. Now it is ready to be stitched down to my background fabric.

I typically don't need a stabilizer, but if it's still gathering it like that, I'd go with Pellon tear-away paper stabilizer. It goes behind your background fabric.

Cute fabrics!