vintage minnesota A

Old 04-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Default vintage minnesota A

Hi Friends,

I have recently aquired a minnesota A treadle, and would love to get in working condition!!

Does anyone know if the bobbins and shuttles for this machine are available anywhere?

Thanks for any information re: those items or care/maintenance of this machine in general. I am a newbee!!

Blessings,

Michelle
Old 04-17-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by michellebewell View Post
Hi Friends,

I have recently aquired a minnesota A treadle, and would love to get in working condition!!

Does anyone know if the bobbins and shuttles for this machine are available anywhere?

Thanks for any information re: those items or care/maintenance of this machine in general. I am a newbee!!

Blessings,

Michelle
Most Minnesota models, including Minnesota A, where made by Davis. Pictures would help to tell for sure.

Most Davis machines took a special needle (1x2, aka Boye # 9) that is very hard to come by, and standard 15x1 needles just don't work. But you may get lucky and it takes a more common needle. Please check the ISMACS needle list for your machine, available here (you'll need a PDF viewer): http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/i...edle-list.html

Luckily Davis shuttles are fairly common. There's a good picture of one on this catalogue scan here: http://ismacs.net/shuttleidentificat...g-page-28.html and the shuttles are also called a Boye # 3. New old stock ones usually go for around $25 which is about average for a sewing machine shuttle. The shuttles also work well with Singer long bobbins, they fit a bit loose lengthwise but I haven't had a single problem using them in two different machines. Singer long bobbins are very common in both vintage and brand new repros! Either are usually very good.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Davis machines take a Davis long needle or Boye #10 You can find them on Ebay
Old 04-17-2016, 11:44 PM

A few different makers made a Minnesota A for Sears so a picture is best. Davis machines have a serial number on the front slide plate or shuttle cover and begins with letter "D".

Jon
Old 04-18-2016, 06:06 AM

Really? *double checks ISMACS needle list* Why yes! I must have mistyped, probably because I was tired. My bad!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM

Not at all. The Minnesota A story is very confusing. Even some of the Davis models use a 15x1. The Ismacs list isn't very clear. The only reason I know is because I've had 4 or 5 over the years.

Jon