Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Store in southwest NC >

Fabric Store in southwest NC

Fabric Store in southwest NC

Old 05-01-2016, 05:03 AM

Default Fabric Store in southwest NC

Seems to me I remember talk about a great store in SW North Carolina, but I can't remember the name. We will be in Asheville and Brevard and just wanted to see how really great it is. Lord knows I don't need any more fabric, but.....
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 AM

Mary Jo's in Gastonia? Is that the one you might be thinking of? I don't need any more fabric either but this is one store I want to go to. Actually, I want to go to all quilt stores!
Old 05-01-2016, 05:35 AM
KLO

Yes, MaryJo's is the store you want. But if you don't want to buy fabric, don't go! Ha! You will find something you want and really, you will find many somethings that you want so it will be impossible not to buy. If you go, take a list of what you are specifically looking for because when you first walk in it's like being in a huge candy store. You need to stay focused or you might have a melt down! JK! The store is still great but the prices have risen since MaryJo retired. We used to make the trip 3 or so times a year but hardly go at all now due to gas prices, fabric prices, and huge stashes already from shopping there in the past.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:00 AM
yel

there is a quilt shop in franklin ....not sure the name of it but franklin is not very big
Old 05-01-2016, 07:13 AM

There is a Fabric and Foam store in Fletcher, just outside Asheville that has a large selection of quilting fabric as well as home décor fabrics
Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 AM

Mary Jo's is 80 miles south and east of Asheville. There are several shops in and around Asheville. I've never been to Mary Jo's but keeping hope to make it there one day! Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM

As KLO said, if you are going to Mary Jo's, you REALLY need to have a specific pattern in mind, as the sheer selection of fabrics is overwhelming! I used to live less than 1 mile from there, so I know what I'm talking about. She has EVERY type of fabric you can think of - upholstery, wedding, dance, knits, quilters cottons, and notions like you wouldn't believe. Mary Jo's is in Gastonia, not really close to Asheville - it's only 1/2 from Charlotte.

Since you will be in the Asheville and Brevard area, you need to visit the "Asheville Cotton Co."
http://www.ashevillecottonco.com/
This is a great little shop, and I usually visit it when I'm doing the Carolina Shop Hop (which encompasses mostly the western parts of NC and SC)

"The Quilt Shop Inc." is in Boone... which is kind of, sort of, near Asheville.
http://www.thequiltshopinc.com/Home_Page.php
I haven't visited this shop, so I can't tell you anything about it.

"Beginnings Quilt Shop" is in Hendersonville, about 45 minutes from Asheville.
http://www.beginningsquiltshop.com/
I've been to this one, is a nice little place, friendly staff.

There are two shops in Franklin, NC.
"Deb's Cats and Quilts" is a super-nice shop. She recently expanded her store, and they have their own line of rulers.
http://www.debscatsnquilts.com/

The other shop in Franklin is "A Stitch In Time".
http://www.astitchintimenc.com/
This shop is really nice too.

Franklin is a little mountain town, but they have the NC Highland Games there every year. There is also a "Scottish Museum" where you can find out if you have a "clan tartan" and even order a full Scottish attire. It's a really nice place to visit.

Living in the Carolinas, I'm spoiled with quilt shops - there are about 80, from the mountains to the coast, in both states. I have been to most (but not all), as with the economy, some open and others close.

This should at least give you some ideas on places to visit.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 PM

I agree with letawell man's suggestions!