Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Default Free Motion Quilting

I'm teaching myself -- or trying to -- to free motion quilt. I have the machine for it....or so it says...a Brother Innov'is 450Q, with the darning foot (which I have not yet worked up the nerve to "break" as Leah Day suggests doing), and have, I think, worked out the tension so I don't get eyelashes. I've set my stitch length to as near zero as possible: 02.

But, boy, am I bad at this! My circles are wonky, I am apparently incapable of stippling, and I can't do pebbles either. I can meander fairly well, and oddly enough I find creating swirls fairly easy, and can make a series of "waves" (that look like cresting ocean waves) that are consistent. And I think I have the speed pretty well understood. A big help was a video by a guy named Rob (right?) who said big stitches were usually caused by slow machine speed and fast moving fabric. On my next attempt I realized he's right. But the line of stitches themselves still sometimes look peculiar, not neat and smooth and precise as I see in the videos. I assume this is a speed problem and I'll get better. I hope, anyway.

The biggest aggravation is the jerkiness that I feel while moving the fabric. I've watched two dozen videos and in all of them the fabric appears to move so smoothly; I see none of the jerkiness or resistance that I'm experiencing. I've sprayed a silicone spray on my machine bed, without much noticeable difference, and have now covered it with wax paper, which is somewhat better. Haven't yet invested in a slider but may in future....if I decide I can actually do this. Right now I'm somewhat obsessed with it. I can't master it but can't leave it alone. It doesn't help that I am a long time amateur artist (I draw and paint)....so feel I should be better at this!

Any tips or hints or suggestions -- or encouragement -- by those who have been where I am?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Is the quilt supported?? Because if the quilt is hanging off the table, that could be drag. You need to support the quilt to your left and behind your machine.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:44 AM

get the slider and the gloves. best investment I made. It will get better.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 AM

I found a huge difference between the hopping foot, which I think you are using, and the gliding foot, which is what happens when you "break" the foot a la Leah Day. Although, I bought a FMQ-ing foot that went with my machine, that glides over the surface of the fabric. I also found the slider does make a big difference and I can't work well wihtout the gloves. I cut the index fingers off so I can still work wihtout having to take the gloves off to do things like re-thread my machine etc.
For me, each type of FM I do has a speed that is perfect for it. When I do pebbles, I go at a different speed and move the fabric at a different speed than I do when I do meandering. It's all personal preference.

You're way ahead of me with the spirals. Those things are my downfall...cannot do them, but I'm still trying!

Watson
Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM

I agree about the slider and gloves. I actually bought a non-stick oven liner from Wal-Mart. I had to make a cut out for my needle and add some grips to the back (I used that puffy shelf liner, but in strips, and attached to the back). Made a big difference for me! My makeshift slider can wander some, so thinking about getting the actual slider since it has the tacky back. I feel like I finally have some semblance of control, so trying to branch out from meandering. Time/practice really does make a difference as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 AM
IQ2

...and don't forget that you should STOP any time you feel uncomfortable and need to readjust the quilt or your hand position. That's my biggest issue. I feel like once I start I have to keep moving no matter what.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM

I sooo want to be able to free motion quilt also. I think I need to try one of the "non hopping" feet. That hopping really is a distraction to me but I don't want to re-vamp the darning foot that came with my Janome. I'm thinking I should buy a generic darning foot that will fit my machine & try to make it into one like Leah Day's foot. I need so much practice.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Get a drawing pad and pencil and doodle those designs that are wonky. As you practice on paper, you will develop muscle memory and it will become easier to do those designs with the machine.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I think that everyone has one or two free motion designs that come to them easier than others. I couldn't do loops for love or money, but it was easy for me to stipple. Try several designs, then concentrate on the ones that are easiest. You can then branch out to others once you have the basics down.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
...and don't forget that you should STOP any time you feel uncomfortable and need to readjust the quilt or your hand position. That's my biggest issue. I feel like once I start I have to keep moving no matter what.
This is HUGE. Also, just plain stop quilting when you get tired. I can only fmq for an hour max before I and too tense to do it smoothly.

Also, you didn't mention whether you put your feed dogs down? Make sure to put those bad boys down and if your machine doesn't support it, then tape a playing card (preferably the joker) over the feed dogs.

How big is your quilt? Practice with a small quilt or mini. Big quilts are tough.