Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Am I the last person on earth to know this? >

Am I the last person on earth to know this?

Am I the last person on earth to know this?

Old 06-04-2016, 04:52 AM

Default Am I the last person on earth to know this?

I like to buy laundry detergent in the large jugs. I disliked having to rinse the measuring cup after using but if you didn't the jug gets pretty messy. Well, I have a front loader and have been leaving the measuring cup right in the machine where you put the detergent. It easily fits there likes it is supposed to be there and gets rinsed out clean. I just leave it there all the time. I've been doing this for 6 months now with nothing bad happening to the machine.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I do but with some machines it doesn't fit. I sometimes also throw the cup in with the laundry but I have to be fast as the detergent first gets deposited in the detergent slot and in starts running down onto the load and might spill out if I open the door.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 AM

most laundry detergent jugs I have seen are designed so that the dregs from the cup run back into the jug, not down the outside. The cup fits into a "gutter" with holes that drain back into the jug.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
most laundry detergent jugs I have seen are designed so that the dregs from the cup run back into the jug, not down the outside. The cup fits into a "gutter" with holes that drain back into the jug.
Ditto. I never have any drips.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
Ditto. I never have any drips.
No, mine doesn't do that. I know what type you're talking about. I'm pretty happy leaving the cup in the washing machine so the problem is solved.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:31 AM

*** I just throw it in with the wash.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Hmm. I just rinse the cup while the water is filling the tub. DH hated the cup said it made a mess. One day he saw me getting ready to do a load and said Oh that's how you do it. I had hot water running at the time. Just hold the cup at an angle to where the hot water doesn't touch your fingers. Too simple. I use ALL Free 'N' clear. Has the small pushbutton plunger, not pump. When you're done with the cup and after rinsing the cup just put it back on no messes.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Big jugs are a hassle. They are heavy from store to home, messy, and mostly water. I use pods. Best new idea in laundry ever. If something fits in my washer it goes in the washer. I put my grands toys in the washer, fill it up, let the toys soak in mild bleach water, drain, take toys out and let air dry. Leggo and small toys go in mesh bags to be washed. I use my dishwasher to wash and clean more then dishes too. I"m not going to spend time cleaning something when I have a machine that will do it for me.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM

I bought a new 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's and rinsed it out real well. I purchased a box of 20 Mule Team Borax, a small container of Oxi Clean, a box of baking soda, a small bottle of vinegar and a jug of color safe bleach. I dumped several large jugs of All Free and Clear into the bucket and then dumped everything on top and stirred with a paint stirrer. I use a measuring cup that has a handle so I can hang the measuring cup to the inside of the bucket. I rinse the cup as the water flows into the washer and stick it back into the bucket. I have found I need way less detergent and I love not having to buy all that stuff every couple of weeks.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:30 PM

This is too funny! I, too, put the cup back into the dispensing drawer. I thought I was the only one! I love how the cup is clean and ready to use for the next load, and any remaining bit of soap went into the laundry, not wasted.

I had to look around for a small enough cup and discovered that a "1/4 cup" cup fits perfectly. And I only fill it half way for a load...so a jug lasts me, and a roommate, for months!

I also fill the softener dispenser with double strength white vinegar. I hang my clothes to dry and the vinegar seems to help the dried clothes be less stiff. It also cuts down on the infamous "front loader odor".

Last edited by glassbird; 06-04-2016 at 12:33 PM.