Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to cut fat quarters >

Best way to cut fat quarters

Best way to cut fat quarters

Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Best way to cut fat quarters

I need to cut 10 fat quarters into 4 inch squares. There should be 20 squares per FQ. There are 10 different fabrics which I will need to keep separated when I'm done.

How would you do this? Would you stack the fat quarters and cut more than one at a time? That means I'd have to separate the fabrics into piles after cutting.

Or would you fold individual fq's and cut them that way? If this way, what's the best way to fold it?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I would careful cut one fat quarter at a time. You don't want to make a mistake. I would press the fat quarter in half so you have 9" x 20"+ piece to cut.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:09 PM

I am doing a quilt with lots of small pieces. I took a tray from the kitchen and laid a piece of plain fabric on it and then put all the patches in alphabetical order on the tray. It was so easy to move the tray around, even to the machine ready to sew. I would cut the selvage off each fat quarter and cut each one, marking the top or right side of the fabric, keeping them in the grain order too because some fabric leaves a shade if you turn it. I used sticky notes but maybe you could use pins to mark the top for the grainline. Happy cutting!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Thanks maniacquilter and ragamuffin. I'm just making wine glass coasters so I don't have to go to the lengths you do ragamuffin. That sounds mighty complicated but you've worked out a great system! I'll remember your ideas.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I would fold each FQ in half (either direction) and trim the cut edge. Then cut 4" strips and subcut them into 4" squares.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Yes, I think that is the way to do it. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Considering what you are doing, I'd probably go with Madquilter's way as well. No need for precision. For precision, I'd be cutting one FQ at a time because I just can't seem to manage stacked fabric. I have enough issues with a piece folded once!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:53 PM

Interesting NJ Quilter. So if precision mattered, you would not even fold the fat quarter and cut a stack of 2 pieces of fabric (one FQ doubled)? You'd cut each one individually?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Banned

KG2, when I have to cut a ton of the same thing (think - Bonnie Hunter mystery) I layer my fabrics and cut strips, then subcut the needed squares. I've cut as many as 4 layers at a time, it all depends on what size cutter you have and how sharp your blade is. If you cut one FQ at a time, it'll take forever.

Cari
Old 06-07-2016, 03:42 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I had a beautiful collection of FQ's and this is my first time cutting them. I folded one in half last night and cut my squares as suggested. Pretty easy. I can see now that I have extra fabric on both sides and the top and bottom. So I may try Cari's suggestion of cutting 2 FQ's at once today, just for speed, since I have the wiggle room. This project does not require much precision fortunately.