Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dritz Small Iron Quality >

Dritz Small Iron Quality

Dritz Small Iron Quality

Old 06-08-2016, 05:33 AM

Default Dritz Small Iron Quality

The Dritz Petite Press iron is sitting in my Joanns online basket. Anybody who owns one want to tell me if I'd be wasting $25 if I purchase it?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:04 AM

I would get the Rowenta travel iron. It gets hot and its small. Don't know about the Dritz.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 AM

I have one and I don't like it. I find it awkward to hold, and it's just too small. I intended it for keeping next to my machine for pressing seams as I go, but instead it lives in a drawer.

My favorite little iron is the "Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron" - I bought it on Amazon and I love it. Great little travel iron, and small enough to keep next to my machine if I wish. Good steam for such a little iron but I usually use it dry. I just checked on Amazon and it's going for $20 right now.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Hmmmm. I have 2 vintage GE travel irons which are very much like both the Rowenta and the Steamfast. I was thinking the Dritz iron tip would work well for paper piecing. Other than the awkwardness of it, does it heat well?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Greetings.
I have a Sunbeam travel iron. It's the "Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot 800 Watt Compact Non-Stick Soleplate Travel Iron, GCSBTR-100-000". I've had it for a couple of years. On Amazon, it's currently about $12.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057UMYAW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img

I like it a lot. It gets hot, and gets hot fast. It's an 800 watt iron. (The Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron mentioned by an earlier poster is only 400 Watts.)

I have never used the Sunbeam with steam, so I can't comment on that feature. Also, I have never used it overseas (220-240V), so I can't comment on that, either. The cord is nice and long. I'm a lefty but the side the cord comes out on is not a problem for me. The iron fits nicely in my hand.

The only downside of this iron for me is I use it at my sewing machine for pressing when I quilt/piece, and sometimes the seam allowance or end points of my project get "snagged" by the steam holes in the sole plate, and I get some puckers in my fabric. It's not a big deal to re-press, but can be annoying.

I keep this little iron set up next to my sewing machine, where it's a little workhorse with a small footprint. I recommend it.
...dany
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I have the small Clover Wedge Iron and like it. I take it to retreats and classes. It doesn't steam so no sole plate holes. I also have the Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini iron and I use it next to my sewing machine at home.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 AM

I have had 2 or the rowenta travel irons. The handle on the first one broke after a few months. The second iron just quit working after about 2 months. I then got the Steamfast. It is a great little workhorse. Gets hot fast and steams up in no time at all. I use it daily and I highly recommend it to others.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 AM

I ordered the clover Wedge last week from Quilt In A Day for half price! It arrived last night and I've tried it for applique. Works great.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 AM

I have the dritz and it works fine for me. I keep it next to my machine, for cases where I can't do chain piecing and have to iron as I go... and don't want to get up out of my chair to go to the regular iron after every piece! It IS small, but works well for seams, and little spot touchups of folded edges or wrinkles.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:57 AM

I have a Hobbico Craft Iron, which I first saw Eleanor Burns using on one of her TV shows. It heats up to 450 degrees.